food burning practical

hi... I use a long bit of strong wire attached to a cork bung and I supply the test tube holders as well in case of items that wont go on the wire...
I didnt even realise that there were baskets available....will look into this...thanks :)

Carol Taylor

Footsore
We use crucible tongs. The wire in a cork is still asked for though, it seems daft to try to spear a crisp or cracker with that though.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Ours just hold the crisps (or other food item) in tongs too, but we have a glass petri dish half underneath to catch the dripping grease and burnt bits.

karen b

COMMITTEE
We use either tongs or mounted needles. We used have a nice set of mounted needles, lovely wooden handles they had, till year 8 were let loose with them.

My predecessor made baskets by biffing the ceramic out of some gauzes and folding them into a basket shape

how an earth does one get crisps onto a needle without them just shattering? :O

We're coat-hanger weavers here; more of a platform than a basket. A bit messy, but dead simple.
View attachment 6347
Ooo, they look good, might have a go at making them.

Currently we use a long pin in a cork or tongs, depending on the class and what they want to burn.

I miss the burning peanut, that used to work a treat, but everyone seems to have nut allergies these days, don't recall anyone having a nut allergy when I was at school, might be nuts hadn't evolved back then.

Used optical pins once, they melted in the Bunsen as they were nickel or something.

Use tongs now.

Morning all
Do you buy or made the basket for the food burning practical ?
Thanks
We use old gauzes without the ceramic centres. We don't make any shape out of them, just use them flat on a tripod, boiling tube with water and thermometer clamped above. When the food is alight, just turn off the bunsen.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Ooo, they look good, might have a go at making them.

Currently we use a long pin in a cork or tongs, depending on the class and what they want to burn.

I miss the burning peanut, that used to work a treat, but everyone seems to have nut allergies these days, don't recall anyone having a nut allergy when I was at school, might be nuts hadn't evolved back then.
For years I avoided nuts because "I always choked on them", found out aged 50 and ate peanut butter that I always choked because I am allergic to them. Luckily copious antihistamine dealt with the hives and the wheeze. I avoid like the plague now.

For years I avoided nuts because "I always choked on them", found out aged 50 and ate peanut butter that I always choked because I am allergic to them. Luckily copious antihistamine dealt with the hives and the wheeze. I avoid like the plague now.
croutons work as well as peanuts.