Fermentation jar

Dear Tech Hive!

My HoD approached me with a request.
He wants to create a fermentation vessel (possibly see through), with probes in it so we can monitor pH, temperature change, CO2 concentration, etc.
I presume it would be a jar with a wide lid with holes through it to fit the size of our probes, but I struggle to start the planning process how to source such vessels.

Do you have one set up in your school, and if so, could you make a picture or describe it to me, or if you've bought it ready made, where did it come from?
Thank you

Dear Tech Hive!

He wants to create a fermentation vessel (possibly see through), with probes in it so we can monitor pH, temperature change, CO2 concentration, etc.
I presume it would be a jar with a wide lid with holes through it to fit the size of our probes, but I struggle to start the planning process how to source such vessels.

Do you have one set up in your school, and if so, could you make a picture or describe it to me, or if you've bought it ready made, where did it come from?
Thank you
Would a glass demi-john used in winemaking do it?

Would a glass demi-john used in winemaking do it?
I could put one or maybe two holes in that, but he wants to monitor many more aspects, and some of the probes (like the pH meter) are quite thick and short - wouldn't reach the liquid level from the top. I guess it would need to go through the side (?) somehow...

Get a demi john, 4L of apple juice some yeast and 1kg of brewing sugar stick some extra holes in the bung and have the datalogger sensors go through. Also get a hydrometer for checking specific gravity as it brews :D

Get a demi john, 4L of apple juice some yeast and 1kg of brewing sugar stick some extra holes in the bung and have the datalogger sensors go through. Also get a hydrometer for checking specific gravity as it brews :D
the demi john's neck isn't wide enough to push these all through its lid/bung. Also, in order to the pH probe to reach the liquid, I'd have to fill it all the way up, and I'm sensing that's a bad idea :D
The CO2 probe alone is as wide as the bung....

Amazon sell large jars... although you would need to poke holes in the lid :)

or plastic is less expensive -

Dear Tech Hive!

Thank you
Just brainstorming here - how about a shallow, wide, see through plastic box with a lid? Holes drilled in for probes. It does not need to be glass or have an airlock. If it's quite wide, you will not risk the froth overflowing. You can find such boxes on the internet (we have some at home)

If the transparency of the vessel is not essential your local home brew shop with sell fermentation buckets that have snap on lids. These come in various different sizes. I know that our local shop will put a hole in the lid for an airlock and drill holes for taps, so they may be able to help you set something up for various probes.

Our is an old Philip Harris one, with temp, humidity sensors etc and a gas syringe. It has lids with rubber membranes sensors can be pushed through and a magnetic stirrer inside. Not something still available to buy there, I believe.

I could put one or maybe two holes in that, but he wants to monitor many more aspects, and some of the probes (like the pH meter) are quite thick and short - wouldn't reach the liquid level from the top. I guess it would need to go through the side (?) somehow...
Do you not have the long thin metal datalogger probes? ( sorry I know you've probably already thought of that)
This sounds like a faff that we had to do years ago.
Good luck!

When I worked in industry we used various size quick fit reaction flasks with removable lids with up to five ports that you could fit various pieces of equipment or block of with a glass stopper if not required. The lid could be secured with a metal clip system. I don't know if the price would be an issue as haven't worked in that line of work for over twenty years.

I love some of the answers! :D
"We used to use ________ but they don't make it any more"
"I used to use_________ but it's more expensive than a platinum bowling ball"
"We use______ but my neighbours Dad made it in 1957"
" I believe they sold this in a shop near me...but it closed a couple of years ago"
and so on....
You can always rely on a forum!:laughing:

I love some of the answers! :D
"We used to use ________ but they don't make it any more"
"I used to use_________ but it's more expensive than a platinum bowling ball"
"We use______ but my neighbours Dad made it in 1957"
" I believe they sold this in a shop near me...but it closed a couple of years ago"
and so on....
You can always rely on a forum!:laughing:
To be fair, the OP did ask for those too, albeit they wanted pictures as well.

To be fair, the OP did ask for those too, albeit they wanted pictures as well.
I know, but it does make me chuckle!
It's like when I see someone wearing nice ( comfy) shoes or dress,, always turns out to be something their mum used to have from a shop that doesn't exist.

Dear Tech Hive!

Thank you
I assume this is required soon and you're not about to buy the proper kit for it - photo courtesy of Dr J.

Therefore if faced with this request I'd probably use a demijohn. To get a proper anaerobic fermentation it needs to be airtight. Problem no. 1. Fit a brewing airlock and then you could collect the CO2 given off and measure using a gas syringe for a set period of time. As for temp changes, well that is going to be down to your surroundings rather than the fermentation process. You could make a small hole on the airlocks cork to fit a temp probe and then reseal - but that would be tricky as once they get going there's a lot of CO2 given off so you could lose some through the seal and compromise your CO2 collection results. pH is very tricky to constantly monitor i.e. with a data logger. Probes are quite chunky. I might try adding indicator to my brewing solution. This solution would simply be glucose and yeast to cut down on colours affecting the indicator.

Normally when faced with these "I'd quite like to set up........" requests I ask how it fits in with the spec and "what do you actually want to show", quite often there's a better way to get the result they want given the kit you actually have rather than some Heath Robinson affair that takes you ages to put together and in the end doesn't really work.

Best of luck!