Faulty Bunsen Burner

Hi all,

Had a teacher burn their fingers on a bunsen today as the base of the burner was red hot!
Nothing looked faulty so I'm not sure why it got so hot. Any ideas?

I'm hoping the other bunsen burners don't decide to play up.
 
have you checked the pipe some they don't make a good seal and they a small gas leak that ignites its hard to see if you are not looking for it
 
I would also check the chimney, they can unscrew and if its loose gas can escape at the bottom (pupils managed it at a previous school!).
It is very hard to see it burn as its a small flame, but it would get hot quickly.
 
I would also check the chimney, they can unscrew and if its loose gas can escape at the bottom (pupils managed it at a previous school!).
It is very hard to see it burn as its a small flame, but it would get hot quickly.
We did have one very old one that had a loose chimney so I know what you mean.
This one seemed fine but they are getting on a bit. Thanks!
 
Make sure its not starting to get gummed up inside. That might encourage gas to travel through areas you wouldn't want it to go.
 
Once you’re happy to light it again, and if you have a thermal imaging camera, you could watch to see if it’s heating up anywhere it shouldn’t.
 
Top