Eye dissection

Hello,

There is an eye dissection due to take place next week. I have read the CLEAPSS pdf (http://science.cleapss.org.uk/resource/ps002-the-dissection-of-eyes.pdf) on this subject but I'm still not entirely sure... We can't use pig eyes as requested by the students, the document seems to say that using sheep will be fine, but only if they're under 12 months? But on samples for schools they are out of stock, I have found some on blades-bio.co.uk but they're described as sheep eyes and it doesn't specify how old they are, but potentially this is fine too? I'm a bit stuck!
Thanks in advance.

Is there a local butcher you can ask for eyeballs? I think I'm right in saying that they won't sell you eyeballs that are unsafe to dissect e.g. they wouldn't be allowed to sell you eyeballs over 12 months etc. That's what we do anyway.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
You can try Blades or ring them and ask
We get ours straight from the butcher though

ring around the local butchers shops - you might find one that does their own butchering of the heads (for tongue and cheek etc) who'll keep them for you

You can try Blades or ring them and ask
We get ours straight from the butcher though

ring around the local butchers shops - you might find one that does their own butchering of the heads (for tongue and cheek etc) who'll keep them for you
Yes I will try this thank you, am I right in that they have to be less than 12 months old?

STEMTech

Dave
Our local abattoir has a string of quality butchers shops. They deliver our eyes, hearts, plucks etc. during their normal delivery round to the posh hotels and restaurants! All very fresh, and not expensive.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I bought some from a supplier a few years ago, physics were desperate for them. They are still in the freezer waiting to be enthused over again.

I've heard tales of Physics freezing eyeballs and sawing them in half :sick: Luckily that hasn't been attempted during my time here.

Hello,

There is an eye dissection due to take place next week. I have read the CLEAPSS pdf (http://science.cleapss.org.uk/resource/ps002-the-dissection-of-eyes.pdf) on this subject but I'm still not entirely sure... We can't use pig eyes as requested by the students, the document seems to say that using sheep will be fine, but only if they're under 12 months? But on samples for schools they are out of stock, I have found some on blades-bio.co.uk but they're described as sheep eyes and it doesn't specify how old they are, but potentially this is fine too? I'm a bit stuck!
Thanks in advance.
Is this a demo or class set?
If you are local I have a couple you can have.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
We use a local slaughterhouse/wholesaler but we have to collect. They are fresh & v cheap compared to Schools suppliers. I've never asked about the age. (Our local butchers don't supply them any more because apparently they don't get the heads any more - following BSE. )

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
If you haven't already ordered, they seem to be back in stock from Samples for Schools.

When it comes to the disinfection stage after a dissection would an antiseptic do the job or I will need Virkon?