Exam invigilation

I'm being asked, along with everyone else at our college, to help invigilate English resits in November.
Unfortunately I don't want to do it, as I believe it is not in my job description, the end of which reads thus-
"To perform such other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and are commensurate with its level of responsibility."
This is the 1st time in 16 years that I've being asked to do something like this, although I do, and don't mind, help with enrolment.
However, I feel that the management have overstepped the mark on this occasion.
Firstly, if I do as they ask this time what is to stop them asking again in the future. Secondly, I object to taking someone's else job.
But what I object to the most about being asked to become an invigilator is that it would be a cold day in hell should anyone else from the college at large offer to help me when I am in need!
I also feel ill prepared to step into the role of invigilator. Given that there are numerous rules and regulations to follow I do not want to run the risk of falling foul of these requirements and, given that the role is being forced upon me, don't believe that I should be put in a position where I have to administer and abide by them.
So far I have refused to take the online training to become an invigilator but I'm sure this will be forced upon me, unfortunately it does say in my contract that I have to carry out any training I'm requested to do.
Does anyone out there know the training requirements that invigilators must have? My plan is to flunk the training but will that get me out of invigilation?
Also, what censures are there for invigilators that happen to allow something that is against the exam rules?

I'm being asked, along with everyone else at our college, to help invigilate English resits in November.
Unfortunately I don't want to do it, as I believe it is not in my job description, the end of which reads thus-
"To perform such other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and are commensurate with its level of responsibility."
This is the 1st time in 16 years that I've being asked to do something like this, although I do, and don't mind, help with enrolment.
Firstly, if I do as they ask this time what is to stop them asking again in the future. Secondly, I object to taking someone's else job.
But what I object to the most about being asked to become an invigilator is that it would be a cold day in hell should anyone else from the college at large offer to help me when I am in need!
I also feel ill prepared to step into the role of invigilator. Given that there are numerous rules and regulations to follow I do not want to run the risk of falling foul of these requirements and, given that the role is being forced upon me, don't believe that I should be put in a position where I have to administer and abide by them.
So far I have refused to take the online training to become an invigilator but I'm sure this will be forced upon me, unfortunately it does say in my contract that I have to carry out any training I'm requested to do.
Does anyone out there know the training requirements that invigilators must have? My plan is to flunk the training but will that get me out of invigilation?
Also, what censures are there for invigilators that happen to allow something that is against the exam rules?
I would get in touch with your trade union rep

Several things
  • you can't "flunk" the training - it's a sit through and you're qualified deal
  • Any censures would be levelled against the school and possibly fail the entire year group etc. - not cool and the school would certainly get rid of you for that kind of behaviour
  • That said, the "any other duties" thing is often misinterpreted by employers as a catch all "do-whatever-we-say" rule - it is not. The additional duties must be something reasonably connected to your original job role and description
If you really don't want to to it they can't force you unless invigilation is specifically written in your job description as it's too far removed from technician roles to come under that - as Techno said call your union rep

I am the senior, and currently the only, technician. Unfortunately I let my union membership lapse some time ago though.
Our head of department would certainly support me though but our college is run by a cabal of people who are all in each others pockets, so it wouldn't look good on either of us.
If I were made to do the training then from what I've heard it can be flunked, it's multi-choice questions so you just have to keep plugging away at it until you pass.

Will there be no science practicals during the English resits? You're priority must be the job you are employed to do, surely? The "any other duties..." clause could only come into effect if you would be sat twiddling your thumbs as the whole college would be involved in the resits.

If all else fails, burst into tears every time anyone mentions it!

I know people from other jobs who have got out of things they're supposed to do - even in their job description, by getting upset about it.

When I taught I did exam invigilation - boring is the best description.

How busy are you with practical requests or have your school stopped doing them?

What I mean is can you justify saying 'no' without looking like an unhelpful eejit.

STEM1

Dave
We have been trained to do it (40 minute Powerpoint), but would only be asked if a teacher is off sick and they are really stuck.
I've never been asked, yet....

Students are off timetable for a week & most people in college are doing invigilation/assistant duties.
There are other non-teaching staff who haven't been called upon though, i.e. IT techs, which is why I feel since it is not in my job desc I shouldn't necessarily have to do it.
Having said that I don't want to appear unhelpful. Since I am more comfortable with assistant duties I may politely ask to do that instead.
However, if that request isn't taken up I may have to take matters further.

Can't you helpfully arrange for loads of stuff to be happening that week that you will have to be there for ie get a rep in about some equipment, autoclave servicing, hazardous waste collection, sorting out all the equipment that needs PAT testing? If you really are too busy to do it then it's not your fault right?

I doubt you'll be the lead invigilator. You'll probably just be there to make up the numbers.

I do one morning in June for maths or English resits. All the teacher's are forced to do it too.

It's done in the college sport hall. We just put papers on the tables and stand at the side trying not to fall asleep.

Wouldn't like to do it now though just because of the pandemic.

If it stops them bringing in external staff then maybe it's a good thing. It makes sense for the school to limit contact with outsiders.

Right now a lot of staff are being laid off, hours reduced etc and if there was ever a time to 'play ball' I think this is it.

All be it a tad extreme the truth is that members of this forum wont be sending you a food parcel if you get a target on your back for causing problems.

Decide whether it's a hill your prepared to die on and act accordingly.

Good luck

If it stops them bringing in external staff then maybe it's a good thing. It makes sense for the school to limit contact with outsiders.

Right now a lot of staff are being laid off, hours reduced etc and if there was ever a time to 'play ball' I think this is it.

All be it a tad extreme the truth is that members of this forum wont be sending you a food parcel if you get a target on your back for causing problems.

Good luck
I would rather do exams than duties, so I am happy to do the scribing for our students. In addition to this, being a lone tech, I can use this time to 'train' teachers to perhaps carry their small demos (which can be carried easily anyway).

Good luck
OMG how dramatic do people get on this forum! I don't think they'll end up on the streets because they don't want to invigilate! lol