Equipment identification help?

Would anyone be able to tell me what these are? I was assuming these were used in physics but the physics teacher doesn't seem to think it is.

Attachments

• 20210311_103557.jpg
    20210311_103557.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210311_103410.jpg
    20210311_103410.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
The first looks like some kind of optical or radioactive bench. The second is a knob... there's all kinds of things in physics that use them.
My first thought was an optical bench too but then I noticed there are glass or plastic T joints further up. Looks home made.

The first looks like some kind of optical or radioactive bench. The second is a knob... there's all kinds of things in physics that use them.
My first thought was an optical bench too but then I noticed there are glass or plastic T joints further up. Looks home made.
Ah right, thank you. The T joints were what made us suspect it wasn't physics. Do you know if it is worth keeping? My weakest subject is probably physics so I don't even know what components we could be missing!

...Do you know if it is worth keeping?
Well, it depends how short of space you are I suppose. It could probably be used as an optical bench or something else. It looks well made, so I'd be tempted to keep hold of it for a bit and think of a use for it.
Once you know something is there, at some point you might have a light bulb moment, 'ah, I know what I could use for that'.

The second one might be part of the stuff you get with a Van der Graaff generator. Showing a charged surface or something
I have found two, along with some hollow wooden blocks with chunks cut out of - not sure if that's part of an experiment or someone's DIY. No Van de Graff generator around I don't think.

We use the first to show the amount of oxygen in air heating copper turnings. You need perfect seals between gas syringes etc or the air leaks out. Haven't used it in years as its almost impossible to get to work properly.
The first on is a set up for the use of gas syringes, there were a whole raft of experiments back in the day.
We still use this
Do you have a name I could look up for this thing?

I'm glad you found two of the spheres as they come as a pair. They are indeed for electrostatics, but not necessarily with a VdG. They are used to show sharing of charge by charging one, then touching them both together and bringing them up to an electroscope to show that the charge has been shared. They may have some other uses in the same area too. I have a few of these, some home made and some bought in. Out of interest (nosiness) the wooden base seems to have some letters or numbers on it, but I can't make out what they are - might be a clue to the supplier.

I'm glad you found two of the spheres as they come as a pair. They are indeed for electrostatics, but not necessarily with a VdG. They are used to show sharing of charge by charging one, then touching them both together and bringing them up to an electroscope to show that the charge has been shared. They may have some other uses in the same area too. I have a few of these, some home made and some bought in. Out of interest (nosiness) the wooden base seems to have some letters or numbers on it, but I can't make out what they are - might be a clue to the supplier.
Interesting. I'm not even sure we have an electroscope around here. I did check imprint and it says 'G&T ltd', I don't even think I've come across this supplier before (then again, I haven't seen half of the recently discovered stuff before)

karen b

COMMITTEE
Interesting. I'm not even sure we have an electroscope around here. I did check imprint and it says 'G&T ltd', I don't even think I've come across this supplier before (then again, I haven't seen half of the recently discovered stuff before)
Potentially Griffin and Tatlock, a forerunner of Griffin and George

Reactions: h0l
Do you have a name I could look up for this thing?
No idea on name and asked around here too but no one can give an actual name either, just refer to it as "% of oxygen in air". I could do with a proper name for it to as the cupboard it's stored in needs labeling after our refurbishment (wasn't labeled before either).

Reactions: h0l
Potentially Griffin and Tatlock, a forerunner of Griffin and George

There was also a Baird and Tatlock, as I remember.