equipment ID please

Found this unusual burette type thing amidst a pile of broken burettes (why?) and cant work out what it would be for. It seems like it could be for mixing but I cant work out why you'd want to.
Any thoughts?
Tia

IMG_20211102_115829.jpg

Found this unusual burette type thing amidst a pile of broken burettes (why?) and cant work out what it would be for. It seems like it could be for mixing but I cant work out why you'd want to.
Any thoughts?
Tia

View attachment 7284
It's a self filling burette. A reservoir of stock reagent is on a shelf above the Burette and refills it syphonically [I may have made that word up]. Mainly used at titration stations in full blown analytical labs. Used them in the past.

It's a self filling burette. A reservoir of stock reagent is on a shelf above the Burette and refills it syphonically [I may have made that word up]. Mainly used at titration stations in full blown analytical labs. Used them in the past.

Thanks Phystech, have been very curious about this one!
Sounds like a neat little object too (though I definitely wouldn't let the kids use it haha), nice find Owen.

Takes me all the way back to my time in industrial QC and research labs, you really need a proper titration bench unit to go with it, the reagent bottles were up on the top shelf and one simply opened a valve on the connecting pipe to fill the burette, one of the reagents in question was 1M NaOH, so I always find it amusing when teachers tell students that sodium hydroxide should never be put in burettes.

I used to use these when working in analytical labs, ours were not only self filling with a pressurised system, but also self zeroing. Saves lots of time when you have loads of titrations to carry out. We had a bank of six of these with different reagents/concentrations set on a plastic board with fluorescent lights behind the burettes and also below the titration flask.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Takes me all the way back to my time in industrial QC and research labs, you really need a proper titration bench unit to go with it, the reagent bottles were up on the top shelf and one simply opened a valve on the connecting pipe to fill the burette, one of the reagents in question was 1M NaOH, so I always find it amusing when teachers tell students that sodium hydroxide should never be put in burettes.
Don't think we ever say never. Just prefer the acid in the burette so dried up NaOH doesn't clog the tap...

I used to use these when working in analytical labs, ours were not only self filling with a pressurised system, but also self zeroing. Saves lots of time when you have loads of titrations to carry out. We had a bank of six of these with different reagents/concentrations set on a plastic board with fluorescent lights behind the burettes and also below the titration flask.
We had them, then they took them away and made us buy grade A. :(:(:mad: