Enjoying lock down?

I can work from home although not enough work for all day every day.

Enjoying dog walking and doing up gardens for the neighbours (which were in dire need of attention). Loving that nobody really seems to want much contact far less close contact. Has really given me time in life to sit back and think...conclusion...I really dont need anybody around me except the few I love and people generally arent interested in you, its all show. ;)

I can work from home although not enough work for all day every day.

Enjoying dog walking and doing up gardens for the neighbours (which were in dire need of attention). Loving that nobody really seems to want much contact far less close contact. Has really given me time in life to sit back and think...conclusion...I really dont need anybody around me except the few I love and people generally arent interested in you, its all show. ;)
Well Allan I'm glad that you are enjoying this Lockdown but for me it's watching the weeds in the garden and putting my feet up a long time exploring the absolute
limits of boredom and moaning periodically as well as preparing resources for the new academic year. I just wish that this situation was over and that that we could get back that we are best doing. This will have a heavy cost on our A level students as they have missed so much. Be safe Allan.

Last edited:

karen b

COMMITTEE
From personal perspective I mostly have been enjoying it. I have been furloughed on full pay (lucky me, I know) and have had chance to tootle about doing whatever I fancy more or less. I've been helping out in the community with shopping, prescription delivery etc. I get up when I would normally be rushing to get to work. I've read loads of books, dusted off my sewing machine, finally got around to writing down all the dances my Morris side does...

The downsides have been my husband and daughter have been stuck in Cumbria since the start of the lockdown. It's mostly worked out for the best in one way as he has been working from home and she was revising for university exams, so there has been no rows about noise or later bedtimes (my son is here with me and he is even more of a night owl). Still miss having them around.
Also not been able to see my mother-in-law in South Wales. We were due to go for the Easter weekend and still can't go and see her even at a safe social distance.

However this has been a worrying time for everyone. My son is in Year 13, he was hoping to improve on his mock results with his final exams so he could get his first choice uni place. No idea how his teachers will have assessed him. He isn't too phased by being taught on-line, but it won't be the full experience at first. My daughter is taking her finals and had been applying for jobs, but that has all gone on hold for the moment.

My dad has heart failure, so has being shielding at home. It was tricky at first to get him to realise how serious things were. He was "only popping to the newsagents" every day. I now have a little newspaper delivery route for him and a lady nearby. My niece is a paramedic, but thankfully in a rural area so I don't think it has been too bad for her.

There are many people who are worried that they won't have a job for a while, friends who work in theatre for example, and in cafes and bars. Not really sure what the economic and job situation will look like in the next couple of years

From personal perspective I mostly have been enjoying it. I have been furloughed on full pay (lucky me, I know) and have had chance to tootle about doing whatever I fancy more or less. I've been helping out in the community with shopping, prescription delivery etc. I get up when I would normally be rushing to get to work. I've read loads of books, dusted off my sewing machine, finally got around to writing down all the dances my Morris side does...

The downsides have been my husband and daughter have been stuck in Cumbria since the start of the lockdown. It's mostly worked out for the best in one way as he has been working from home and she was revising for university exams, so there has been no rows about noise or later bedtimes (my son is here with me and he is even more of a night owl). Still miss having them around.
Also not been able to see my mother-in-law in South Wales. We were due to go for the Easter weekend and still can't go and see her even at a safe social distance.

However this has been a worrying time for everyone. My son is in Year 13, he was hoping to improve on his mock results with his final exams so he could get his first choice uni place. No idea how his teachers will have assessed him. He isn't too phased by being taught on-line, but it won't be the full experience at first. My daughter is taking her finals and had been applying for jobs, but that has all gone on hold for the moment.

My dad has heart failure, so has being shielding at home. It was tricky at first to get him to realise how serious things were. He was "only popping to the newsagents" every day. I now have a little newspaper delivery route for him and a lady nearby. My niece is a paramedic, but thankfully in a rural area so I don't think it has been too bad for her.

There are many people who are worried that they won't have a job for a while, friends who work in theatre for example, and in cafes and bars. Not really sure what the economic and job situation will look like in the next couple of years
I loved your post Karen. I do hope that things will improve and I think that your actions have, and are, honourable. I bet that you didn't expect that from me! Be safe.

Lockdown? What lockdown? Sorry, I'm in Australia and in a regional area (next closest town 1500 km away). State borders have been closed and some biosecurity zones in place but not a lot changed. I have been at school everyday - we only really had 2 weeks without kids so haven't really felt it fortunately. Sure I couldn't go to my favourite eating places but can now and now things are pretty much back to normal except the state borders. I miss flying to Adelaide to see my 95 year old mum and a couple of holidays got cancelled. Only 4 cases locally and nothing now for over 6 weeks.

Lockdown? What lockdown? Sorry, I'm in Australia and in a regional area (next closest town 1500 km away). State borders have been closed and some biosecurity zones in place but not a lot changed. I have been at school everyday - we only really had 2 weeks without kids so haven't really felt it fortunately. Sure I couldn't go to my favourite eating places but can now and now things are pretty much back to normal except the state borders. I miss flying to Adelaide to see my 95 year old mum and a couple of holidays got cancelled. Only 4 cases locally and nothing now for over 6 weeks.
Do you have a flu season? just curious.

Do you have a flu season? just curious.
We do and it is now as temperatures start to plummet. We have temps of below zero at night and late teens early 20's during the day - typical desert temperatures! I was talking to a doctor the other day who said that due to all the social isolating they are not expecting the usual numbers of flu cases this winter.

yep. Enjoyed the whole thing. It gave me an opportunity to try the retirement that I was dreading. messed about, eat too much, went out on the pushbike, finally sorted the garden lighting, found the garage floor, (subsequently missing again!). Realise now that I wasted a lot of time. Then, time spent doing what you want, even if its nothing, is not wasted. Read Sex, Power, Money by Sara Pascoe. A wonderful book that explains why we're irrational and feel better with the latest phone. Dreading the return to work after just 5 1/2 months off, and 3 days in; its OK. Almost enjoying it!

Quietly got used to it....
Hectic schedule of duolingo language app, watching drivel,alternate days run/walk, minimal parenting/schooling, quizzing, and putting on weight.
Now back to school, unhealthy snacks are banned- for the children's sake of course..! Did the spring cleaning/cleaning cupboards at the beginning, but soon got back to the usual mess anyway..

Even that's a worry though. I expect money will fall away in value due to a brexovidbank crisis. Unless you turn your lump into something you need, it may be pointless leaving it under the mattress or worse still in a bank. Of course the rich have stored their "worth" in their property, Paintings and swizz bank accounts. Odd isn't it that to get the economy going we need to spend and there's all that stagnant value not circulating? Similarly the £40 a week top up to your state pension might treat you to fish and chips in 5 years time. I'm intending to take the lump and buy a historic vehicle. Perhaps a Centurion tank so I can place my vote where it counts.

Even that's a worry though. I expect money will fall away in value due to a brexovidbank crisis. Unless you turn your lump into something you need it may be pointless leaving it under the mattress or worse still in a bank. Of course the rich have stored their "worth" in their property, Paintings and swizz bank accounts. Odd isn't it that to get the economy going we need to spend and there's all that stagnant value not circulating? Similarly the £40 a week top up to your state pension might treat you to fish and chips in 5 years time. I'm intending to take the lump and buy a historic vehicle. Perhaps a Centurion tank so I can place my vote where it counts.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I actually enjoyed the lockdown. I volunteered for a community group doing shopping, collecting prescriptions etc for vulnerable people. Every day I delivered a newspaper to an elderly lady and to my dad who lives nearby.

I also sewed medical scrubs wash bags, headband/ear protectors and masks.

I could imagine myself pottering along like this forever! Shame I am still 10+ years off retirement age

I ended up being furloughed and home schooling my two youngest. But we had some good times too so swings and roundabouts. Very very glad to get to end of term. Even gladder to be taken off furlough and told to come back to work last week of August.