Elodea and it's non invasive substitutes - supply issues

That's interesting. We always fetch ours from the pond the day before its needed and put it under a heat lamp to get it going. I assumed this was normal and didn't think shop bought stuff would be any different. Ours works, it just needs warming up.
I'd be careful if it's one of the banned invasive species, like elodea.

I use https://www.plantsalive.co.uk/

They ship Thursdays so should arrive Friday, you need to tell reception to call you.
Just noticed that Plants Alive are closing down (according to a message on their website), they say it's because it's increasingly difficult to acquire the plants - a shame because we got some pondweed from them a few weeks ago, and it was really good quality (about the best we've bought in the last 10 years). :(

So if banned to sell or buy, therefore it isn't banned to gift or grow if already in situ?
Have our pond weed in old plastic dustbins, so won't contaminate any waterways etc

That's interesting. We always fetch ours from the pond the day before its needed and put it under a heat lamp to get it going. I assumed this was normal and didn't think shop bought stuff would be any different. Ours works, it just needs warming up.
Same here. We have hornwort in our pond which is as reliable as anything we have bought

We have 2 tanks, now fitted with an aerating system (ex-freshwater aquarium). About 5L of water is changed every 2 weeks. Before the airation and water change the Elodea died within a week.

We have a single tank with some shop bought elodea and daphnia within, filled with distilled water. These were shoved in at the start of the year and are still going strong now. No aeration, just the very occasional "instant pond" tablet added in for nutrients. Pretty sure they're the only instant pond tablets I've seen not manufactured by Acme in a cartoon...

We also have a light bath which wakes up the elodea before use.

There are six species of Elodea, of which I've only seen bans mentioned for two, and they weren't the biggest sellers. Does anyone have an up to date list of which are banned and which aren't?

I have just checked on blades and they have Egeria densa as an alternative to elodia and Myriophyllum scabratum for Cabomba

Does anyone have an up to date list of which are banned and which aren't?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We have a single tank with some shop bought elodea and daphnia within, filled with distilled water. These were shoved in at the start of the year and are still going strong now. No aeration, just the very occasional "instant pond" tablet added in for nutrients. Pretty sure they're the only instant pond tablets I've seen not manufactured by Acme in a cartoon...

We also have a light bath which wakes up the elodea before use.

There are six species of Elodea, of which I've only seen bans mentioned for two, and they weren't the biggest sellers. Does anyone have an up to date list of which are banned and which aren't?
SAPS newsletter:
(https://www.saps.org.uk/search-library/100-saps-library-osmosis-newsletter/1427-october-2017)

What sort of tank setup do you have please? water? lighting etc. We have tried to keep it going in a tank but it died after a week. Mind you, it was a poor shop bought specimen to start with.
I use a 3 litre beaker filled with rainwater from my water butt at home. I change the water every week. It needs to be aerated to keep the pond weed alive. As mentioned by TechNewham, we put it under bright light to get it really going before the practical. If it's summer, this can take an hour or so, but if it's winter, it needs to be left overnight and sometimes longer. We are a small school so all classes can do the practical over a few weeks. I've not tried to keep it longer yet.

I use a 3 litre beaker filled with rainwater from my water butt at home. I change the water every week. It needs to be aerated to keep the pond weed alive. As mentioned by TechNewham, we put it under bright light to get it really going before the practical. If it's summer, this can take an hour or so, but if it's winter, it needs to be left overnight and sometimes longer. We are a small school so all classes can do the practical over a few weeks. I've not tried to keep it longer yet.
also if you want bubbles the water used needs to be saturated with O2 or it will dissolve.