Electric Bunsen Burners???

I believe you're referring to this kind of electric Bunsen burner:

It said for flame experiments the burner requiring a gel.

Our new build is being designed at the moment and this is something that cropped up for us. We went through our practicals and put together a list of ones that we might not be able to do, and we priced up a couple of different bunsen alternatives for them. When they realised how much it would cost to equip 10 labs with electric burners they decided they needed to put a bit more thought into it.
The new build is going onto a new site which is on the edge of our town where there are no other buildings and therefore no mains gas. I think they're now looking into the possibility of tanks of some kind.

It can be piped from the cylinders as one of ours is about 25m away

I'm sure they'll figure it out, that's what they're paid to do. We were supposed to be opening in September, but they haven't even started building yet so its been delayed by a year. :rolleyes: Its going to be a through school which is new for us so from September we'll have the new reception year intake in demountable rooms in the car park here. I'm sure that'll be fun for everyone; we've never dealt with little ones before!

There have been rumblings of a new build here within the next couple of years... I hope the opening coincides with my retirement...;)

In the latest CLEAPSS bulletin there is a section on greener bunsen ideas. One proposition being a mix of natural gas and hydrogen and the other being pure hydrogen.

I can't begin to imagine the logistical nightmare, but hopefully it would involve a lot of the existing gas infrastructure that most schools already have. It would also be a real flame of course so I would imagine that all experiments currently requiring a flame could still be done.

I agree that the electric burner is quite a daft idea, I'm getting tired of people seeing electric power as 'free, eco power' because its often not haha. Electric cars are fantastic don't get me wrong, but I feel like there should be more push towards hybrids first until the power grid can be made more green! (sorry just on a tangent ramble haha)

At my last school the new build went so wrong, we went into special measures. Student numbers crashed. Staff cutbacks. .... So I now work in Milton Keys instead of Reading.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
Hi fellow techies. We are in the process of getting a new build but were informed last week that as it will be a green school there will be no fossil fuel burning allowed, hence no gas bunsen burners!! We are being asked to look into alternatives particularly electric bunsens ranging from £200 to £700 each Has anyone experience of them and how do you deliver micro without that magical blue flame? Any feedback would be great to help fight our corner. Many thanks Shirley
Well, that's all very fine and laudable, however, have they taken into account that lots of power stations are gas and coal fired? oh well, it takes all sorts to make a world and and I am glad that by the time all electric cars come in that I will have retired as the mayhem that will ensue with folks queuing on the road to get to a charge point doesn't bear thinking about.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
What annoys me is that this new building will likely be used as a PR exercise for the SLMT to stroke their own wireless dongle with parents whilst the technicians and teachers have to put up with the practical problems on a daily basis. Meanwhile (at my school at least), kids will still throw non-degradable rubbish on the floor, do bucket chemistry generating tons of useless toxic waste and chuck solids down the sink because it's convenient. :mad:
Yep, you are so right @Emil Retaw . An aren't we great and so "woke" about the environment.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I believe you're referring to this kind of electric Bunsen burner:

It said for flame experiments the burner requiring a gel.
I had one of those years ago as i have no gas in my prep room, it took hours to boil up 500ml of agar. it now lives at the back of a cupboard. :rolleyes:

CLEAPSS have an interesting piece about this in their latest Spring 2021 Bulletin which can be found in the What's New section of their website. There are apparently 2 possible new systems being looked at over the next 10 years, one using a mix of natural gas and hydrogen (HyDeploy), the other 100% hydrogen (H21). H21 would need new burners & distribution system whereas HyDeploy would not.

Well, that's all very fine and laudable, however, have they taken into account that lots of power stations are gas and coal fired? oh well, it takes all sorts to make a world and and I am glad that by the time all electric cars come in that I will have retired as the mayhem that will ensue with folks queuing on the road to get to a charge point doesn't bear thinking about.
To be fair as electric cars become more common I feel like instead of having charging stations like petrol pumps, cars will be charged at home and at workplaces.

Once wireless charging gets implimented, theoretically then any car park space could be a charge point and therefore the battery would be constantly topped up wherever you are, and would be the death of the 'mileage anxiety' that everyone with a lecky car has at present.

Even better, if roads were conductive we could all be zipping around without refueling, like the Daleks did on Skaro :p

Pretty space age and mad sounding but I'm looking forward to it haha.

To be fair as electric cars become more common I feel like instead of having charging stations like petrol pumps, cars will be charged at home and at workplaces.

Once wireless charging gets implimented, theoretically then any car park space could be a charge point and therefore the battery would be constantly topped up wherever you are, and would be the death of the 'mileage anxiety' that everyone with a lecky car has at present.

Even better, if roads were conductive we could all be zipping around without refueling, like the Daleks did on Skaro :p

Pretty space age and mad sounding but I'm looking forward to it haha.
Also plenty of them are pushing the mileage range now - so for most people there wouldn't be a concern about charging whilst out and about! It's pretty exciting.

Though I'd still like to see decent public transport as the first option!

Also plenty of them are pushing the mileage range now - so for most people there wouldn't be a concern about charging whilst out and about! It's pretty exciting.

Though I'd still like to see decent public transport as the first option!
Absolutely! The mileage I do I could easily have an electric, if I could charge at work as well as home haha.

Public transport for sure would be better though!!