Eisco low voltage power supply fault

image.jpg

At first I thought it was just the fuse as there was no output, but after replacing them there’s still nothing on AC (the output led doesn’t light on AC too).

DC is fine measured across a bulb.

What could be wrong? Is it fixable?

STEMTech

Dave
I'm not familiar with this model, but as the DC output is working, the AC from the transformer secondary is also working internally. It's just not reaching the output terminals.
I'm sure it's fixable. Perhaps the AC/DC rocker switch?

View attachment 5798

At first I thought it was just the fuse as there was no output, but after replacing them there’s still nothing on AC (the output led doesn’t light on AC too).

DC is fine measured across a bulb.

What could be wrong? Is it fixable?
Always fixable! might be a non-resettable 'thermal fuse' on the transformer. Take the case off, see If it has one.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Does sound fixable, well worth having a look.

Last year I made a working irwin from two broken ones. (one had a burned out component one had a lead snapped in the transformer windings so swapped the transformers)

It’s a nightmare to work on. Boards appear to be held in place by the terminals and switches. Can’t work out how to remove the front sockets to proceed further without breaking them.

It’s a nightmare to work on. Boards appear to be held in place by the terminals and switches. Can’t work out how to remove the front sockets to proceed further without breaking them.
Some manufacturers use that method easy to build, nightmare to service. Old skool testing, dmm, see when the volts stop! Is it worth your time or is it a challenge? Good luck.

Some manufacturers use that method easy to build, nightmare to service. Old skool testing, dmm, see when the volts stop! Is it worth your time or is it a challenge? Good luck.
Not worth my time now. If I have time in the summer I’ll Investigate further. Can’t get probes in without pulling it apart. Can’t even get a mirror in to look for damaged components.

If you have a number of items that may need fixing, and don't have the time or, as in my case, the expertise, I highly recommend techlab. There details are in the services section

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE

I used to work in vehicle hydraulics. I was with a fleet engineer when he was discussing with a manufacturer the difficulty of replacing a particular valve block mounted under a refuse vehicle. He was saying he could not understand how they fitted it as it was such a nightmare to maintain.

Oh that's easy, the guy from the vehicle manufacturer said, we do it with the body upside down.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
If you have a number of items that may need fixing, and don't have the time or, as in my case, the expertise, I highly recommend techlab. There details are in the services section

Save them up, they charge the same for transport for one as for a hundred.