Drying Safety Specs

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Already planning on getting a few of them from Wilko next time I get chance to shop

We've been lucky in that we've been given the unused lab next door as a prep room overflow. That's enabled us to put a long washing line up along one side of the room to hang them all on. A clothes airer was our plan B.

How are you guys getting on with the sterilising of the glasses? with so many sterilising tablets per washing up bowl? do you change the bowls of water daily?

I have a three tier airer, it's working pretty well!
Sterilising is still a pain though :( managed to get my HoD to let me order another couple sets of goggles so I hope I will be doing less of it in future.

I've been protecting my clothes from splashes of milton/tesco alternative with my lab coat but my blimmin shoes have bleached patches on them from the drips! Wonder if I can claim for some new shoes haha.....

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
We are not cleaning our safety specs. We quarantine whatever class sets they are. Each set is labeled with the teacher whose class used it, the year group and when they can be used again. If another class within the year bubble needs them then they are used. We are cleaning and quarantining as much equipment as we can but there are not enough hours to do everything.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We are not cleaning our safety specs. We quarantine whatever class sets they are. Each set is labeled with the teacher whose class used it, the year group and when they can be used again. If another class within the year bubble needs them then they are used. We are cleaning and quarantining as much equipment as we can but there are not enough hours to do everything.
If the safety specs are worn then they cannot be used again until their quarantine is up or sterilising happens, even if it's within the same bubble - the only way to reuse them like that would be for the exact same student to be the one wearing them

If the safety specs are worn then they cannot be used again until their quarantine is up or sterilising happens, even if it's within the same bubble - the only way to reuse them like that would be for the exact same student to be the one wearing them
Agree.

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
I stand corrected, missed that bit from CLEAPSS. :mad:

karen b

COMMITTEE
What we have done is given out ziplock bags for students to label, put their safety glasses in and then we have given them out later that day or the next day. This worked particularly well with sixth form chemistry PAGs that take a few lessons to complete

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
I just pour them from their tray into a net bag (for laundry). Can be washed, miltonned, hung out to dry with minimal touching before pouring clean dry ones back into a tray...
A set of thirty per bag, hung on clamp stands on the floor in the corner of the preproom when I go home, poured back into trays first thing in the morning. Have been known (once) to get hairdryer out for a last minute request though.....
Going through Milton like the clappers though...

Last edited: