Warm water and a pan scrubber takes off permanent marker better than ethanol, I find.
labels are a pain, but if you can warm the glue without getting the paper wet, that is often enough to get it off.We are lucky enough to have the lab miele dishwasher with attachments! They come out nice, however i am finding that i am washing by hand. once i'm in the zone i get just on with it. Never had any complaints. Also i try to avoid giving out sticky labels, a permanent marker , after i wash glassware i wipe off permanent labelling with ethanol.
Do so thenI am about to give up
This sounds like hell on earth.Last week, I had to make a mixture of sand, copper oxide, oil, salt, water and iron in glass beakers.
I hope you can get the teachers to reconsider that practical for next year... I assume it's a "homemade" ferrofluid? Might aswell just buy some proper stuff and save the hassle. Or is it a separation techniques thing?The magnets also agree.
Separation techniques thing. Fortunately for me, the teacher told me last time to not add CuO, because pupils didn't know how to separate it using H2SO4.I hope you can get the teachers to reconsider that practical for next year... I assume it's a "homemade" ferrofluid? Might aswell just buy some proper stuff and save the hassle. Or is it a separation techniques thing?
Honestly just sounds like something that can be all done separately.Separation techniques thing. Fortunately for me, the teacher told me last time to not add CuO, because pupils didn't know how to separate it using H2SO4.
Still, the magnets are hard to clean... we wrap them in cling film to make the cleaning easier.
There are still several CuO patches in the sink. Maybe next time I will mix it with H2SO4 to get CuSO4, which is far easier to clean.
The practical is the following: students have to imagine they are in a desert island and have to get clean water for survival. To simulate this, we hand them a mixture of water contaminated with oil, CuO, sand, etc.Honestly just sounds like something that can be all done separately.
Our school does Sand and salt (Water + filter to evaporate), sand and iron fillings (Magnetic separation), oil and water (separating funnel), and Copper oxide with sulphuric. If anything the learning outcomes is better and more distinct that way no?
Bags? I like the idea!!I put the magnets in bags and call them 'Bagnets'.
Most I will mix is salt, sand, and pebbles now. We were told by our H&S lead not to use iron filings anymore outside of teacher demos, as a student from another school got some in their eyes and they rusted in the eye fluids. Was quite nasty from what I heard.
I've known a kid drink some, they turned out alright; apparently it was just a sip... Maybe they thought they'd turn blue like in charlie and the chocolate factory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯(one swallowed a solution of CuSO4 the other day, so there's always some risk).
The nurse panicked... I then explained to her that the solutions students handle aren't very dangerous (i.e., it's not necessary to rush to the hospital if they touch them without gloves, or swallow a small amount).I've known a kid drink some, they turned out alright; apparently it was just a sip... Maybe they thought they'd turn blue like in charlie and the chocolate factory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Another reason not to keep glassware in labs.I would love to have this problem! I've go the opposite one.
I have to check the cupboards regularly since our chemistry teacher "rinses" the glassware and puts it back in the cupboards directly! Sometimes with chemicals still in them, staining the shelves and all.
"It's nothing dangerous, and we're only doing bucket chemistry" so apparently no need for clean glassware?
I used to work in a research lab and while I know we don't need the same level of cleanliness, I still feel we need to have some kind of control over what's going on?
Blows my mind.
Sheldon: Here you go. This is now the only lab with glassware washed by a man with two doctorates and a restraining order signed by Carl Sagan.
Amy: Soap spots. Wash ’em again.
Sheldon: Y-you’re being ridiculous. Those are perfectly clean.
Amy: Sheldon, this beaker used to contain cerebral spinal fluid from an elephant that died of syphilis. If it’s, in fact, perfectly clean, drink from it.
Sheldon: Biologists are mean.