Do you do duty in your school?

Afternoon all,

Just curious to know if you have to do lunch time/end of school etc duties at your school?
Yes I do 3 lunchtimes duties a week. Luckily I managed to get Science dept corridor. Works out to £7.10 after tax per day.
Nightmare some days keeping Year 11's out of the building. They are under the impression that rules don't apply to them.

Have done- in last place which was an academy just starting up with few staff. I was not paid but could have had a free lunch if I had wanted it. Did it to support the school but it wasn't ideal. I didn't know any names of pupils, had no experience of SIMS or the various behaviour management systems that came and went, so couldn't respond effectively to situations. They did not understand, initially, that being around the labs in breaks or lunch was often necessary, with me being the only technician there. I would have thought there is a strong case to be made for technicians not to need to do duties, seeing as they occur at times when labs are usually free.

Afternoon all,

Just curious to know if you have to do lunch time/end of school etc duties at your school?
break is teachers and pwo on rota, lunch voluntary, and £10 plus lunch (support staff get first dibs)

and no I don't volunteer, too much to do, hmm, it might be a break as we have split lunches for KS3 & KS4/5 so there are always lessons.

Last edited:

karen b

COMMITTEE
No, teachers job here, though I have helped out in an emergency just till the relevant person turned up

No, absolutely not. The teachers are contracted to do it although we've occasionally helped out when they've needed extra support for an incident.
I wouldn't want to do it anyway, but even if I did there's no way I could spare the time in my day.

No. Only teachers do duties, it's in their contracts, not support staff.
Not in our contract, but we can ask to do duties at lunchtime. Not enforced, paid duty. It boosts my pay by £100 a month for 3 days, so worth the aggro tbh. ( will be much easier during exam sessions.)
This is the first time I have done it for 18 years.

No, absolutely not. The teachers are contracted to do it although we've occasionally helped out when they've needed extra support for an incident.
I wouldn't want to do it anyway, but even if I did there's no way I could spare the time in my day.
It's during lunch so is in fact, my lunchtime. We used to not have lunch as we were so busy, but we put our foot down about that as it got ridiculous. Now we have lunch whatever & people would have to just wait.

Have done- in last place which was an academy just starting up with few staff. I was not paid but could have had a free lunch if I had wanted it. Did it to support the school but it wasn't ideal. I didn't know any names of pupils, had no experience of SIMS or the various behaviour management systems that came and went, so couldn't respond effectively to situations. They did not understand, initially, that being around the labs in breaks or lunch was often necessary, with me being the only technician there. I would have thought there is a strong case to be made for technicians not to need to do duties, seeing as they occur at times when labs are usually free.
But if you legislate then that would mean that techs would have no opportunity to earn a bit extra, whereas LSA's, office staff etc could.
It's only just over half an hour, which would be our lunch anyway. I wouldn't do it for free! ( although happy to stand in for someone while they pop to loo)
Our science teachers are usually nearby so any behaviour issues can be dealt with by them if necessary. Any real problem I just let it go ( not getting into bun fights) ask ICT techs for footage of corridor & send it to Head of Year.
V difficult if you are lone tech though.