Distillation Thermometers

What thermometers are people using for their distillation?

I've got both Copper Sulfate and Crude Oil coming up (delayed till after half term now, phew) but the mercury thermometers with the kit only go up to 100c.
We're using a dufton column because it's a yr11 demo and more about seeing kit in real life, the teacher isn't fussed.

Anyone got a favorite thermometer? Maybe not a mercury one? They're the last ones we have in use, it'd be great to lock them up with the rest!

Same prob here - I've ordered a 0-360 from two suppliers only to find they are no longer selling them (still in catalogue and online for both).

What thermometers are people using for their distillation?

I've got both Copper Sulfate and Crude Oil coming up (delayed till after half term now, phew) but the mercury thermometers with the kit only go up to 100c.
We're using a dufton column because it's a yr11 demo and more about seeing kit in real life, the teacher isn't fussed.

Anyone got a favorite thermometer? Maybe not a mercury one? They're the last ones we have in use, it'd be great to lock them up with the rest!

How do you distil copper sulfate ?

Anyway, we use a -10 - 300*C spirit thermometer for anything that will go above 100*C, a bog standard -10 - 110 for everything else.

I'm jealous of your Dufton column !

Last edited:
Are fractionating column and dufton columns the same thing?
Sorry to go off-thread..
We bought one as our HoD wanted to use it for (fake) crude oil or similar, but without a heating mantle (understandably), cleapss weren't keen- not too disappointed as didn't want to spoil it! They suggested we use it to distill a 70% alcohol/water mix to compare flammable/inflammable product, but usually now only used for show, with Liebig and copper sulphate in use.
Other CLEAPSS friendly uses welcomed...

Does any one know of good thermometer's for melting point apparatus. At the moment still have some mercury ones that go to 250c.
But they will not last for ever.