Disease control

Ok, we know little of C19 although many of us like to think we do. The truth is that this is in general terms a controllable situation. I do not (and will not waste my time seeking) have figures for the like of malnutrition or dysentery that plague our world year in year out.

As my mother put it, "yes, people will die but people die".

She is in a high risk group and is well aware that ANY bacterial/viral infection could cause serous illness. Live with it people as bacteria and viruses live with us.

I tend towards this type of approach. We, as a world, need to find ways to live with C19, It's here for the forseeable future and possibly forever.

As a family we try our best to be careful, 2m social distancing, plenty of handwashing, PPE if necessary and open air visiting. This will be the case for as long as is needed.

I'm of the mind that it will, in time, settle down (this might just be hoping) and with a bit of good fortune a vaccine will be developed soon to help this along. Long term it will be around but we, as a species, will develop defences against it and it will be something that is caught and recovered from by most (a bit like a bad flu season, most recover).

This is my opinion, based on nothing more than 'that tends to be what happens'.

Diseases like this will become more and more common due to increase battery farming (farm animals of course being perfect amplification species for these things), and until the human population gets a vaccine of 'common sense' I can see this kind of debacle becoming more common.

In my view, if the govts had acted more decisively and everyone did their part to help instead of going against directives, the UK and Ire could have been clear of this within 2 months.

I feel like C19 will just be added to the seasonal disease list like colds and flus, and that we need a cultural shift to be more accepting of things like masks and being wary of disease vectors in general.

No I'm not saying everyone needs a full disinfectant shower every time they breathe or to become intense germophobes, but I feel like it should just become part of peoples normal routine and life to stop unneeded physical proximity or contact and to wear a mask or some kind of face covering in confined places. Yes its a minor inconvenience but it saves lives, in many parts of asia its already common and people are just culturally used to it.

Suffice it to say I'm very glad I paid attention in Zoonosis lectures when I was in uni only 2/3 years ago and got warnings about this very thing happening haha.

Diseases like this will become more and more common due to increase battery farming (farm animals of course being perfect amplification species for these things), and until the human population gets a vaccine of 'common sense' I can see this kind of debacle becoming more common.

In my view, if the govts had acted more decisively and everyone did their part to help instead of going against directives, the UK and Ire could have been clear of this within 2 months.

I feel like C19 will just be added to the seasonal disease list like colds and flus, and that we need a cultural shift to be more accepting of things like masks and being wary of disease vectors in general.

No I'm not saying everyone needs a full disinfectant shower every time they breathe or to become intense germophobes, but I feel like it should just become part of peoples normal routine and life to stop unneeded physical proximity or contact and to wear a mask or some kind of face covering in confined places. Yes its a minor inconvenience but it saves lives, in many parts of asia its already common and people are just culturally used to it.

Suffice it to say I'm very glad I paid attention in Zoonosis lectures when I was in uni only 2/3 years ago and got warnings about this very thing happening haha.
and as a nation we need to get better at actually washing our hands properly! This helps prevent the spread of so many things.

We also need a healthy dose of "these are the bad times - get your shareholders and owners to put their hands in their pockets and cough up". Watching the instant and total collapse of capitalism has been one of the more amusing aspects of the debacle. If multinationals and oligarchs had spent less time filling their boots and more time supporting the society they live in, we might have been in a better state to deal with the issue. As it is, our children will be paying...and paying...and paying.

We also need a healthy dose of "these are the bad times - get your shareholders and owners to put their hands in their pockets and cough up". Watching the instant and total collapse of capitalism has been one of the more amusing aspects of the debacle. If multinationals and oligarchs had spent less time filling their boots and more time supporting the society they live in, we might have been in a better state to deal with the issue. As it is, our children will be paying...and paying...and paying.
Agreed 100%, the fact that billionaires even exist at all and are allowed to exist and concentrate that much wealth while people worldwide suffer shows that the system is totally broken.