Discs with marbles

Teacher has asked for discs with marbles. It’s something to do with heat radiation as that’s what they’re looking at. It’s not the heat sensitive discs we have the we put under a heat lamp. Colleague is also bemused.

Any ideas? She’s going to help me search but I want to have some idea of what she means and what she wants to do!

Could they be after a conductivity star? Usually has 4/5 different metals which you can stick marbles to ends using wax/Vaseline. You then heat the metals and watch as the marbles fall off at different times, based on the different heat conduction of the metals

Could they be after a conductivity star? Usually has 4/5 different metals which you can stick marbles to ends using wax/Vaseline. You then heat the metals and watch as the marbles fall off at different times, based on the different heat conduction of the metals
Nope she's already used that - it's definitely something that demonstrates radiative heating and the effect of colour. She's also asked for the different coloured bottles for the same lesson.

Teacher has asked for discs with marbles. It’s something to do with heat radiation as that’s what they’re looking at. It’s not the heat sensitive discs we have the we put under a heat lamp. Colleague is also bemused.

Any ideas? She’s going to help me search but I want to have some idea of what she means and what she wants to do!
Nope she's already used that - it's definitely something that demonstrates radiative heating and the effect of colour. She's also asked for the different coloured bottles for the same lesson.

HAving a bit more of a think. I do remember that at one school I worked there was a demo with a black disc and a silver disc either with a cork(marbles would also work) stuck onto the back with vasealine. These are then setup near a radiant heater to show the difference between how black and silver radiate heat. I think the black one goes first but cant remember.

Sorry Have I missed something , When you asked your fellow member of the science staff for clarification as to what they had requested what was the reply ?

karen b

COMMITTEE
Sorry Have I missed something , When you asked your fellow member of the science staff for clarification as to what they had requested what was the reply ?
Have you been wondering about it for the past couple of weeks?

That they’d help me look for it! They’ve forgotten about it now so still none the wiser.

Probably a radiant heater (ceramic IR or a high wattage filament lamp) situated between two metal plates (aluminium) one painted matte black the other white or unpainted, a marble or cork is stuck to the outside of each metal plate with petroleum jelly when the power is switched on the radiant heat is absorbed more by the black plate so the jelly melts quicker and the marble or cork falls off faster. I think our kit has been adapted to use a Bunsen burner to heat a folded metal gauze as the original radiant heaters were deemed to be dangerous, not used it for years.

Probably a radiant heater (ceramic IR or a high wattage filament lamp) situated between two metal plates (aluminium) one painted matte black the other white or unpainted, a marble or cork is stuck to the outside of each metal plate with petroleum jelly when the power is switched on the radiant heat is absorbed more by the black plate so the jelly melts quicker and the marble or cork falls off faster. I think our kit has been adapted to use a Bunsen burner to heat a folded metal gauze as the original radiant heaters were deemed to be dangerous, not used it for years.
Probably wax 'cos I don't think that petroleum jelly would hold a marble's weight.

So all I’m looking for is two identically sized metal discs? One black, one white? If it requires a radiant heater then it’s probably one of her good old days experiments and has been replaced by the discs she says don’t work.

If you have one of those can openers that cuts around the side to leave the top without sharp edges it might work, or perhaps old paint tin lids. I guess you would have to paint them anyway.

We used to use flat pieces of polystyrene with one half painted black. Large I.R. lamp to do the melting. But any heat source would probably work.