Describing what you do as a tech on your CV

Morning all,

So I am attempting to take my tech skills into industry for the first time, and I have a bit of a mind fog when it comes to describing what we do in a manner that would appeal to working in an industrial lab. I know about how I can describe microbiology stuff, the use of CLEAPSS, but I am struggling to describe the process of making chemical solutions 'scientifically'.

What is a great way to sum up accurately weighing chemicals, measuring water etc?

I know some people are great at wording this type of stuff, but unfortunately for me, I suck at it.

karen b

COMMITTEE
How about looking at some job adverts for the type of position you are going for (even if they are the other side of the country). It might give you an idea as to the language employers are using, and the keywords they might be looking for

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Don't suppose you could look up the teaching syllabus for - for instance- a technician apprenticeship, and nick their language for generalised scientific techniques and practices (health and safety etc...)
But obviously hedge towards aspects of the jobs you are applying for..
Also ClEAPSS have their (our) handbook...

You could try something like this...
Accurately weigh out chemical samples to produce a specific volumetric amount of salt solution to the required molarity to +/- 1%

Something along the lines of working under CoSHH standards using the CLEAPSS method, making standard solutions and non-standard solutions accurately from concentrated forms, The ability to adept to sudden changes, to work as part of a team, to handle and dispose of chemicals in a safe manner. Organisational skills, an the ability to repair broken equipment. The ability to work within a very stringent budget. The list goes on

I totally agree with the suggestion to regurgitate adverts. Find as many as you can and choose a sensible average of the language used. CVs are often presorted by computers these days so you HAVE to get the keywords spot on or you just get rejected.

I totally agree with the suggestion to regurgitate adverts. Find as many as you can and choose a sensible average of the language used. CVs are often presorted by computers these days so you HAVE to get the keywords spot on or you just get rejected.
Wow, never knew this!

If the computer lets you past, you still have HR to contend with! My sister didn't get considered for a temp post doing data inputting as she didn't have maths GCSE, even though she has full secretarial skills, a degree, has worked in universities and didn't go to a school where she could do the o' level equivalent!

If the computer lets you past, you still have HR to contend with! My sister didn't get considered for a temp post doing data inputting as she didn't have maths GCSE, even though she has full secretarial skills, a degree, has worked in universities and didn't go to a school where she could do the o' level equivalent!
The job market is ridiculous now. My son can't get past first post with applications as he doesn't have a degree.
As he is applying for anything & everything this is crazy.
His CV has been given a good going over by professionals, who have declared is to be very good, but still nothing.
Sadly though, most jobs he could do standing on his head.
Maybe he should say that, so they'd give him a go out of curiosity! :laughing:

The job market is ridiculous now. My son can't get past first post with applications as he doesn't have a degree.
As he is applying for anything & everything this is crazy.
His CV has been given a good going over by professionals, who have declared is to be very good, but still nothing.
Sadly though, most jobs he could do standing on his head.
Maybe he should say that, so they'd give him a go out of curiosity! :laughing:
To be honest it has been like that for 20 years. When I left KS5 they wanted science techs with experience, then it was a degree, when I had got my degree it was a degree with experience. I was lucky when I got my job in industry, but joined as an intern