Data harvest dynamics trolleys ? or other recommendations ?

Forgive the lack of technical language, I'm a chemist :laughing:

We're looking to improve our physics kit, and one of the things Mr Physics has asked for is new dynamics trolleys. They need to be able to do springy and non springy collisions, be easy to attach interrupt cards, masses and other things to the top, and do the thing where you put them together with a mechanism so they explode apart.

He really wants Pasco smart carts, but I don't think our business manager will go for that along with everything else on the shopping list, so I'm looking for other options. We currently have a few of the metal Philip Harris trolleys, but they are super heavy (to the extent that they make dents in the lino if they fall off the table) and most of the explodey mechanisms are broken after ~10 years which doesn't seem particularly great to me. Plus some big wooden ones which are even older, even more broken, and even more impossible to attach things to !

Since we use Dataharvest loggers and sensors, I had a look at their dynamics carts and they look fairly cheap and cheerful, they have a rubber bumper and a spring that can be used for collisions, and they come with interrupt cards that screw in which is a big plus, but I can't see any way for them to do the explodey thing, so I wondered if anyone has done this activity successfully with them ? And also, how do you attach masses for F=ma ?

Otherwise, does anyone have any other recommendations of the best cheap-but-decent dynamics trolleys to buy ?

Thanks !

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE

We're looking to improve our physics kit, and one of the things Mr Physics has asked for is new dynamics trolleys. They need to be able to do springy and non springy collisions, be easy to attach interrupt cards, masses and other things to the top, and do the thing where you put them together with a mechanism so they explode apart.

He really wants Pasco smart carts, but I don't think our business manager will go for that along with everything else on the shopping list, so I'm looking for other options. We currently have a few of the metal Philip Harris trolleys, but they are super heavy (to the extent that they make dents in the lino if they fall off the table) and most of the explodey mechanisms are broken after ~10 years which doesn't seem particularly great to me. Plus some big wooden ones which are even older, even more broken, and even more impossible to attach things to !

Since we use Dataharvest loggers and sensors, I had a look at their dynamics carts and they look fairly cheap and cheerful, they have a rubber bumper and a spring that can be used for collisions, and they come with interrupt cards that screw in which is a big plus, but I can't see any way for them to do the explodey thing, so I wondered if anyone has done this activity successfully with them ? And also, how do you attach masses for F=ma ?

Otherwise, does anyone have any other recommendations of the best cheap-but-decent dynamics trolleys to buy ?

Thanks !
We use dataharvest dynamics kits/trolleys - very pleased with them, never had the need to explode apart though

karen b

COMMITTEE

Thanks !
We have these cars. If you buy the dynamics kit it comes with some masses and a way to fit them on.

We still use the old style wooden trolleys for the exploding apart bit. They might be Philip Harris brand, but not sure

We have DynaKar.
internal Bluetooth sensor for position/velocity, so no need for bits of card etc.
Brilliant for F=Ma, ok for investigating crumple zones etc, but we use the airtrack for collisions explosions.

We have DynaKar.
internal Bluetooth sensor for position/velocity, so no need for bits of card etc.
Brilliant for F=Ma, ok for investigating crumple zones etc, but we use the airtrack for collisions explosions.
Do they talk to chromebooks ? Once the stupid google school chromebook thing has filtered through to all year groups they're planning to take away our department laptops, so anything we buy can't involve software that has to be installed.

Do they talk to chromebooks ? Once the stupid google school chromebook thing has filtered through to all year groups they're planning to take away our department laptops, so anything we buy can't involve software that has to be installed.
I doubt it. software is Microshit 32 or 64bit.

I know they're not the cheapest, but if you use Chromebooks I definitely recommend the Pasco smart cars. They do everything you need them to do and the Sparkvue software they run with is free for Chromebooks and easy to use.
If price is a concern its worth talking to your Scichem area rep. Mine was really helpful when we purchased our stuff including coming in to show the equipment to the staff and giving us a better price than the list price. The visit may not be possible with covid, but they should be able to tell you if there are any offers or deals they can apply for you.

I'd concur on the SmartCarts. You can do stuff you can't show with anything else, like impulse=change of momentum and action=reaction. We have some really ancient "exploding trolleys" though, which are still used. We also have the DH dynamics kit, which we use for F=ma but not much else as there is only 1 for demos.

The Pasco Smartcarts are really very good. We use ours with sparkvue which can be installed easily and for free and works on an iphone. They are well worth the money.

Smartcarts are great. I want to buy all th accessories now! We use them with iPads but SPARKVue is in the Play store so I’d imagine you can get it on a chromebook. They work by Bluetooth.