covid-proof lungs / breathing practical ?

Hi All,

I've got a couple of teachers moving on to the 'lungs and gas exchange' topic first week back who want to do some practical work, but both the things they would usually do (limewater, and breathing on a cold mirror) are impossible at the moment.

Has anyone got any good practicals for this topic that don't involve blowing ?!

Thanks !

Hi All,

I've got a couple of teachers moving on to the 'lungs and gas exchange' topic first week back who want to do some practical work, but both the things they would usually do (limewater, and breathing on a cold mirror) are impossible at the moment.

Has anyone got any good practicals for this topic that don't involve blowing ?!

Thanks !

get a pluck.

well there is not much safe breathing they can do.
I did point out that breathing practicals that don't involve breathing might be slightly difficult to find, but they still wanted me to try :rolleyes:

One of them has decided to do HCl / marble chips / limewater and tell them 'this is what would happen if you blew in the test tube'. I think a video of the actual experiment would have got the point across better, personally, but oh well !

For a second I got excited at the thought of a 'covid proof lung' that has been developed haha.

But for real, I agree with above comments, pluck is probably the only safe thing you can do because you can do it with a foot pump so theres no actual 'breath' involved so in theory its safe

One of them has decided to do HCl / marble chips / limewater and tell them 'this is what would happen if you blew in the test tube'. I think a video of the actual experiment would have got the point across better, personally, but oh well !

grow yeast instead of marble chips

get some locusts and look at breathing rate.

For a second I got excited at the thought of a 'covid proof lung' that has been developed haha.

But for real, I agree with above comments, pluck is probably the only safe thing you can do because you can do it with a foot pump so theres no actual 'breath' involved so in theory its safe
Unless the lungs have been cut.

Could you use a ballon pump to inflate a balloon and 'exhale' from the balloon and inflate the lungs. It might be tricky to attach a balloon to tubing but would be worth a try.

Dr.Roo

Best dressed trans' tech in the dept. X
I do use limewater for a starter.
Tube rack with 6 test tubes in. 3 with limewater & 3 without. Each has a small straw of the same colour & teacher asks for 6 volunteers, hypes it up a bit & asks class to say who has limewater in.

Get all to blow (sensibly) into the straws, always pointing out that it's bad to suck and you have temporarily involved pupils.
Limewater goes cloudy tap water shouldn't, of course.
Then chuck the straws.

I do use limewater for a starter.
Tube rack with 6 test tubes in. 3 with limewater & 3 without. Each has a small straw of the same colour & teacher asks for 6 volunteers, hypes it up a bit & asks class to say who has limewater in.

Get all to blow (sensibly) into the straws, always pointing out that it's bad to suck and you have temporarily involved pupils.
Limewater goes cloudy tap water shouldn't, of course.
Then chuck the straws.
Not allowed at the moment, that's the problem.
1616669347169.png

Can the teacher not do it as a demo. I presume they are wearing a mask/face visor and are behind a screen so the risk is very minimal if they dispose of it safely themselves.

Can the teacher not do it as a demo. I presume they are wearing a mask/face visor and are behind a screen so the risk is very minimal if they dispose of it safely themselves.
blow through straws, no it creates aerosols.

blow through straws, no it creates aerosols.
They are all asking for limewater demo here. I did say that a teacher can pass infection on to us too! I just collected what I was assured would be a demo & there were racks of test tubes with cloudy limewater...Not impressed