COVID has me so stressed I feel near tears half the time

Is anyone else feeling this way between events in lockdown and work?

Lockdown meant that my wedding (which my fiance and i had been planning for 18 months) didn't happen which started us off badly for lockdown, we then had various issues with our house which has cost us a large amount and meant living in the living room for 6 weeks+, then I had a hard loss in my family. So i wasn't in a great place returning to work.

Since coming back the HoD has tried to be helpful but keeps coming with suggestions (in line with CLEAPSS) that aren't really feasible in the way she thinks and i don't think she sees the issues the same way.

Im a senior tech so responsible for my team (including a post lockdown new starter) and i feel like the teaching staff don't appreciate the added responsibilities/stress we have.

Definitely get where you're coming from, Sci-nymph.

I was away from work for so long that I'm already exhausted to the point of near burn-out not even 4 weeks in. Prep's a mess between all the items in quarantine and kit I've had to take out of labs. Can't go into labs or corridors when kids are there which makes life really hard as a lone tech.
Watching everyone around me (kids and staff) completely give up on social distancing has been hard.

On top of that I'm having to take a new route to work because people on the roads are behaving abusively and downright dangerously towards me. I cycle and a lot of the roads near me have been blocked off to one lane so pedestrians can use the space to distance and apparently it's the Worst Thing In The World for some drivers to go a little slower until they can pass me safely. >>

All my social hobbies are on pause for the foreseeable. I'm very lucky to have a flatmate and a friend we have bubbled with to play board games with or I think I'd have gone mad.
I can't cope with the shops because of all the idiots, so even a trip out grocery shopping is out the window.
My flatmate is great company at home but pretty much incapable of leaving the house unless it's a deserted evening, lest he get into an altercation with people who won't keep their distance. At one point while we were out walking he got into such an argument with some lads I was genuinely scared we'd end up stabbed.

The world's gone down the drain and we're expendable.

Sending hugs!

- rant start -

I feel frustrated with people more than anything. The actual covid part of it all doesnt scare me anymore, I know I could take it and I know I'm doing my best to keep myself and others safe from it just in case.

What really bugs me and has me wanting to give some folks a 2meter slap is the amount of people not wearing masks, wearing them incorrectly and completely failing to comprehend what a 2 meter space looks like.

Also more recently is how young people are getting absolutely chucked under the bus by the government. I'm so sick of my generation getting the blame of everything and being used as a scape goat. I personally know that all my friend group (all in our 20s) ALWAYS wears masks, ALWAYS wears them PROPERLY and ALWAYS washes hands were possible etc. When we meet up, we meet up outside in a park or something always keeping a reasonable distance.

Every time I am in town or go shopping, its always older people either not wearing a mask or wearing it around their head or walking around with their nose out, practically breathing down other peoples throats they are so close to eachother lol. Same thing in school, the pupils are actually doing really well here wearing masks and keeping apart where possible, its the staff I worry about, prowling the corridor with their nose to the wind, coughing and spluttering all over the kids. Yet the news is always like 'oh its the millenials who are ruining the world once again' when in fact of course the numbers of young people with the virus is going up because they are in SCHOOL!!

The amount of whingeing about masks is doing my nut in as well, here we wear them when walking the corridor, so the max time you would be wearing it is like 5-10 minutes at a time maximum, but people are getting on as if its the worst thing in the world without even sparing a thought for those in jobs who have to wear them 24/7 like in shops or of course the health services.

- rant ends -

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
Sending you lots of hugs.

I basically struggled the whole lockdown with MH, I am on the spectrum so routine is key but as I wasn't doing anything I would fall asleep late & get up late, hardly any work to do. Someone even went to oh I bet 6 months off was fun, NO. No it wasn't.

I think I have got some MH scarring (brain form) since lockdown as I have these low to good days. HOD has been understanding but didn't try and over work me but like today was mainly admin stuff which was okay but then I get thinking again..
I am mentally shattered which is wiping me out most evenings and been sleeping about 10/11 hours on a Friday night.
But yeah x

I basically struggled the whole lockdown with MH, I am on the spectrum so routine is key but as I wasn't doing anything I would fall asleep late & get up late, hardly any work to do. Someone even went to oh I bet 6 months off was fun, NO. No it wasn't.
Same! The lack of routine completely messed with me and my sleep schedule was completely bonkers by the end of it; something like going to bed at 4am and getting up at 2pm.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I also get annoyed with the younger people getting the blame. In regards to mask wearing, my daughter (aged 21) suggested we start wearing them before it became mandatory. She has also given up several pub meet-ups with her friends as I needed surgery recently, and we all had to self isolate.

I see all ages not wearing masks or thinking their nose doesn’t need to be tucked in. Also many people don’t respect the social distancing rules even when there is plenty of space for them to be.

I don’t know what it is like in school as I have been signed off until at least half term.

The mask-around-the-chin/under the nose thing is a total pet peeve lol.

If you were some sort of post-apocalyptic archaeologist studying the pandemic and all you had to go on was a few photos of the city streets, you'd be absolutely convinced that COVID spread via beards. o_O

Sending you lots of hugs.

I think I have got some MH scarring (brain form) since lockdown as I have these low to good days. HOD has been understanding but didn't try and over work me but like today was mainly admin stuff which was okay but then I get thinking again..
I am mentally shattered which is wiping me out most evenings and been sleeping about 10/11 hours on a Friday night.
But yeah x
Same here! MH was a nightmare. and same on a Friday night I'm normally drifting off about 9pm now haha

I'm using this whole COVID period to actually enforce the H&S in my department (it was rubbish in the first place!)

I dislike the umbrella company I work for and as this was my first tech job I signed with an agency with a 1 month notice(!) period! So should I feel my place of work doesnt become safe to work in, then I am going to use this as an excuse for withdrawing from this agreement. I am even going to get HR to sign it off because my HoD doesnt reply to emails so we cant be having it mysterily go unread now can we? ;)

Struggling massively
Have lost faith with a huge portion of the human race
How stupid to blindly blunder into a completely avoidable second wave
All the government and many people cares about is money and things not human lives
Stop blaming the young my 22 year old is home finishing his masters and has left home twice to empty his uni accommodation and go to the uni library .
Feel like I am part of a horrific experiment and as the only wage earner at home have no choice but to carry on.
Bless you all for the wonderful support