Cosmetic chemistry

Our science club want to look at the chemistry of cosmetics next term! Unfortunately they are year 7, which does sadly rule out things like microscale soap prep. :( We are planning on doing bath bombs though.

Any ideas from the hive mind as to other suitable experiments? :p

Our science club want to look at the chemistry of cosmetics next term! Unfortunately they are year 7, which does sadly rule out things like microscale soap prep. :( We are planning on doing bath bombs though.

Any ideas from the hive mind as to other suitable experiments? :p
We had done soap making using a soap base (purchase online), essential oils to fragrance and colours. We heated the soap base in containers in water baths. It can be quite expensive as a practical. We also did bath bombs and perfume from kits. Again, these are quite expensive to buy in. Lip balm kits may be the cheapest and easiest to do.

Face masks and scrubs using oatmeal ,fruits and yoghurt. You can also add powdered teas- cammomile and green tea.

We did an investigation into the efficacy of different factor sun creams and clothing using UV beads - not one for November though!

Lol never heard of it- I would have been in primary then! :surprised:
AH the good old days. Kit contained everything to make blusher, lipstick, foundation etc. I think but dont quote was from griffin and george. There were several. I remember the polish one as well.

We did an investigation into the efficacy of different factor sun creams and clothing using UV beads - not one for November though!
This could work with cyanotype paper. Paint the sun block onto the paper, leave it in the sun or under a UV light for a few minutes. Not tried it, but should work in principle!

AH the good old days. Kit contained everything to make blusher, lipstick, foundation etc. I think but dont quote was from griffin and george. There were several. I remember the polish one as well.
From the even older days...

coschem.jpg
Full of borax and explanations of girls running towards weaponised cosmetics whilst boys will benefit as it gives them an interest in their hair and might even give them a start on personal hygiene...