Corona Corona...

I may be wrong, but Spanish flu was more of a concern to younger age groups, this one appears to mostly affect the elderly or those with poor respiratory health or low immunity. Close schools while parents still have to work, and you get grandparents looking after the children, without the children themselves (if in otherwise good health) being particularly at risk. Its less about generally spreading it around, and more about delaying the impact on those particularly at risk ( and therefore particularly at risk of needing more intensive NHS care...
The virus is a +ve-single stranded RNA enveloped virus. The envelope is made up of lipoprotein which is why it is rapidly deactivated by detergent and HOT water. It naturally targets the lungs where the receptor for the spike protein is the ACE2 protein.
upload_2020-3-13_9-59-20.png

Has any other technician been asked to disinfect goggles before and after every use. This could be numerous times a day, where is the time to complete this task.?

Has any other technician been asked to disinfect goggles before and after every use. This could be numerous times a day, where is the time to complete this task.?
No, but good point! We could rotate them, after all never a practical in all 9 labs here at once. Hot wash in dishwasher. we do this termly usually. Will put some in today.
'Nurse' ( she isn't a nurse), has just told us that there are hand sanitisers all over school on the wall. We've just searched. Found 2 in a school with 8 buildings:rolleyes:, none at the front reception.

No. I'm washing them once a week. After every lesson is impossible - apart from anything else they need time to dry.

We've been given 2 pots of (200) disinfecting wipes for goggles to go out with practicals, the HoD and I exchanged looks clearly saying 400 wipes for 12 labs with 20-30 students in each lesson....not going to last long really....:rolleyes:

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Could someone please tell me how to convert hydrogen peroxide 20vol to 3% (ref. WHO recipe for hand sanitiser - see: https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf ) I used to have a brain........

Also - has anyone tried mixing propan-2-ol with aloe vera? A colleague tells me that the AV becomes a mass like poached egg!!

Thanks,

Heather
CLEAPSS guidance on their front page - DONT make your own hand gels, school bought chemicals are not recommended for skin

Yes but you have to share bodily fluids to get hiv...not just the same space for 15 minutes....so not at all the same
Appreciate
We are supposed to be working in Science Depts, so let's try not to conflate one pandemic with another. HIV is generally avoidable and is now treatable, and those who have it when under successful treatment can no longer pass it on.

Covid-19 is a novel virus, we are still learning about it, but that learning process is already more advanced than HIV was after two years.

However it is rather more easily caught, and currently less treatable. It will affect more of the population and it will cause a strain on resources.

HIV did not shut down a whole country, so yes, keep it in perspective, but let's not be daft about it. It will impact our lives, more than likely in ways that none of us has seen in their lifetimes.

Oh for heavens sake, has humour and sarcasm gone out the window as well as common sense!

Nothing, apart from being told the measures to teach the students via internet, has happened at my place. I've seen no extra hand gel (we have a dispenser in each toilet anyway) or been told to take any extra precautions.

I'm of the mind that now the genie is out of the bottle there is no way to put it back. This is nature finding a way to ease the overpopulation of the world and it cannot be stopped (until a cure/vaccine has been developed....but it would probably mutate and render it useless). Far too late for any precautions so let it pass through and then deal with the consequences. No point bankrupting the country with ineffetive measures.

:) Washed me hands 7 times already today, in the normal course of work, so far, and, apart from the normal ageing aches and pains, feel fine so I am sure I will not get it :)

If there anything else I have missed then let me know.

So a primary school around the corner has closed today and we are being talked to today at half 2 once the girls are all gone. We finish early on a Friday.

How hot, though? I read an article some time back that suggested by the time water was hot enough to make a clinical difference, it was also hot enough to damage the skin and create a route of infection?
A very good question. I've not been taking any chances - as hot as I can handle.:D
Appreciate

Oh for heavens sake, has humour and sarcasm gone out the window as well as common sense!
No time for humour, sarcasm or common sense in the current climate when Supermarket shelves are being empied of Pasta, bog rolls, bleach, etc. and staff are wearing surgical gloves.:p:p