Corona Corona...

t
They are pretty desperate tbh. Goggles can be sterilised & don't have to neccessarily be medical grade at the moment.
GLOBAL shortage of PPE. If you have any packs of gloves try your local Doctors, they need them too or will send to hospitals if they don't need them.
I found a pack of face masks too.
Hospitals have had every thing from us
I'm going to have to ask my nursing friends about that. I used to work in NHS lab and not sure our old, scratched, used goggles will be able to be sterilised

I'm going to have to ask my nursing friends about that. I used to work in NHS lab and not sure our old, scratched, used goggles will be able to be sterilised
Don't know. Just know that the NHS called school & asked for ANY goggles, even used. I have put ours on hottest steaming before & were fine.

And tbh, these are exeptional circumstances, if staff are wearing bin bags as PPE I am sure they will find a way to sterilise some goggles rather than go without! I had my doubts, but they asked, we gave.

And tbh, these are exeptional circumstances, if staff are wearing bin bags as PPE I am sure they will find a way to sterilise some goggles rather than go without! I had my doubts, but they asked, we gave.
I'm going to email my local hospital to find out.

I'm sorry to hear that. No, not in London thank goodness. In North Essex. It doesn't seem to have hit us hard up here yet. Only a matter of time though.
Stay safe everyone x

karen b

COMMITTEE
We donated some gloves and goggles. First of all to a teacher whose two sons work in the NHS - one is a dentist, not sure about the other. Then to a GP. The senior tech was going to give her everything useable to pass on to colleagues if necessary.

it's scary is how big the new hospital at ExCel is.
It Is. Heard on news that it will be used straight away. Think we were all hoping that these emergency hospitals would end up not being needed. Still shocking, or perhaps not knowing how idiotic people can be, how so many are still not taking the situation seriously & still going out & about en masse. Or maybe under impression that non of the rules apply to them.
Sadly, they probably won't be the ones to suffer the consequences.

I believe ours went in though I'm not sure all would have been found as we had new ones in the cupboard and I think only the classroom ones got taken. I've not been in since last Monday.

karen b

COMMITTEE
We are now officially on furlough leave with no expectation that we will do any work for the school until it is about to reopen fully.

Yes, I went a week or so ago & took gloves anyway as I thought their need greater.
Got call on Saturday for the goggles. Shame we hadn't had order through for new. All ours were getting to the pretty scratched up stage & I hadn't had chance to clean them yet. Hopefully they can make use of some of the better ones.

We donated all of ours and our stocks of gloves. Figured they could sterilize them all.

Donated all our boxes of gloves , goggles and fifty plus safety glasses to the local NHS hospital , Monday :):)

karen b

COMMITTEE
I am relatively busy, but I need to find work for my tech, currently has a cleapss reading list.

The teachers are spending far more time with online lessons than at school.

We haven't been in school since March 20th. On the Monday 23rd I did a few hours emptying fridges, clearing surfaces, etc. Then a colleague came in and moved all the plants to one location, cleared biological stuff. Now the whole school is being closed down as much as possible. That happened more quickly than we expected as we had offered to come in and photograph experimental set-ups etc.

All teaching moved online immediately. The teaching of the key worker children has moved to the nearby prep school (we are all part of the same school foundation), but they are just being supervised and doing the same online work as everyone else. I don't think after the first day or two any of the teachers were in school. They have been expected to set work remotely and be available to their classes at normal lesson times. Maybe we did this because we only had one week before term ended. This would now be Easter holidays for us. I don't know when other schools break up.

I know that teachers have being planning ways to teach the next sections remotely. A friend posted pictures of his home classroom, with a whiteboard mounted on the wall ready to film small sections of explanations. The year 7 teachers have agreed not to teach the next topic of Reproduction as this would be tricky to do remotely, and runs the risk of misunderstanding. Much easier to do at the start of next year when we hope to be back in school

Now we are goggle-less.
Has anyone else donated all their goggles, specs and gloves to the local hospital?

Yes, all our school PPE has been sent :)

I'm working from home as far I'm able, tidying up Lablogger and adding useful stuff. As far as I'm aware only SLT are on roter, and perhaps the caretaker - there is only one student so far. The science block has been locked up, HOD went in and retrieved the plants, checked the stuff I asked her to do and is currently helping those kids at home remotely.

Last edited: