Corona Corona...

I've also just been told that we are expected to come in. I'm waiting on what they say about year 11s today as if they delay gcse's and my son is taking his later in the year I will be at home with him helping him prepare for that. He is a boy who has already suffered as a result of learning support staff cuts not getting the support he needs in school. I don't care what the consequences are - I'm not coming in here twiddling my thumbs & looking for things to do - I'll be at home helping my boy because christ knows he deserves it. They can sack me if they want - I'll take it that far. Plus as someone else said there are people paid a lot more than us here who should step up. I feel almost on a daily basis that the system is taking the piss with what I do - way beyond my job description - to help keep things going here. Because I care about the students. But if they push me on this one ........I will walk.

I've also just been told that we are expected to come in. I'm waiting on what they say about year 11s today as if they delay gcse's and my son is taking his later in the year I will be at home with him helping him prepare for that. He is a boy who has already suffered as a result of learning support staff cuts not getting the support he needs in school. I don't care what the consequences are - I'm not coming in here twiddling my thumbs & looking for things to do - I'll be at home helping my boy because christ knows he deserves it. They can sack me if they want - I'll take it that far. Plus as someone else said there are people paid a lot more than us here who should step up. I feel almost on a daily basis that the system is taking the piss with what I do - way beyond my job description - to help keep things going here. Because I care about the students. But if they push me on this one ........I will walk.

Well said, I wish I could give you more likes.

As I understand it there will be no exams at all and GCSE nd a level grases will be awarded on the basis of assessed work and predicted grades. The last of these has been very contentious during the past couple of years.:)

As I understand it there will be no exams at all and GCSE nd a level grases will be awarded on the basis of assessed work and predicted grades. The last of these has been very contentious during the past couple of years.:)
The government are going to make an announcement today, as of last night no official decision made yet.

paul r

COMMITTEE
This is another example of the unfair society we live in . I do not care what they say there are going to be people on huge salaries declaring "they are working at home " and dictating that lower paid staff have to come in .
I really hope your personal situation is addressed and wish I could offer more than words.
My son was pushed out of school ( excluded) and he was home schooled. We as parents managed to turn him around and he passed a few exams . It has been stressful and financially hard . He needed help and support instead he was prodded and subjected to efforts to make him react !

Last edited:

Indeed. What this will create though is huge grade inflation. Whilst it will be a "triumph" on a political level due to statistics, in actual fact employers and universities may have no choice but to set their own exams or criteria to better filter out candidates. There will be way more competition for the same places and this will actually be more stressful than regular exams because each institution will do their own thing...
I do feel sorry for those A-level students who have worked so hard because even though they will get the grade they deserve, there will always be a stigma attached to its worth. :(

Indeed. What this will create though is huge grade inflation. Whilst it will be a "triumph" on a political level due to statistics, in actual fact employers and universities may have no choice but to set their own exams or criteria to better filter out candidates. There will be way more competition for the same places and this will actually be more stressful than regular exams because each institution will do their own thing...
I do feel sorry for those A-level students who have worked so hard because even though they will get the grade they deserve, there will always be a stigma attached to its worth. :(
I couldn't agree more Emil.

Yep and GCSE students for whom their academic progress goes no further and cant trump their GCSEs with A levels or degrees. However all conjecture as no official statement from government yet.

Lets face it, some pupils will come out with better grades tbh.

Yup, except it doesn't benefit everyone equally. The lazy, good for nothing students who spent the entire time trying to ruin everyone else's education will now get a free pass for nothing, whilst the hard working, dedicated students who worked their butts off will basically get what they were going to get anyway....:(
It is still speculation obviously at this point but I do hope they come out with something externally assessed as unlikely as it is.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
The government are going to make an announcement today, as of last night no official decision made yet.
The government are going to address exactly how the grades and qualifications will be awarded but that have said it will definitely NOT be exams this year
It's about the only thing they've actually been definitive on

We have received a new email. All support staff have to report on a weekly basis whether they are in work by the Thursday before the following week.
If we are self isolating you have to give reason & amount of days
If you are in vulnerable group then you have to provide medical proof . ( Dr's are closed to everything except emergencies, cannot even get in door!)
If you work from home you have to specify what work you are carrying out.
Or you can take annual leave (?!)

Well THAT'S meme worthy! lol

Apparently, it got worse, bearing in mind that this was an official Google training session. Someone logged in late but set themself as presenter instead of tutee. So, suddenly, there was a new, puzzled face on everyone's screen. When they were finally convinced to log off and relog on as _not_ presenter, the screen switched to a pair of our IT wallahs rolling about in their chairs with laughter. _They_ then had to be told to log off and on again.

I'm not very impressed with Gurgle's training software....

that's more of a Wigan thing. When this "New Town" was formed it was mainly to house folks from Liverpool and they traditionally don't get on with Wigan folk, they like their "pan of scouse" here, lots of the kids like to hold on to their scouse roots and the accent is still very apparent. "Werk" instead of work and "me trainees" instead of my training shoes.
Actually Julie I must own up and tell you that I'm not a Scouser. The bit about Everton was true though although I've never owned a Shell Suit or a wig. I was wondering though do you consider yourself a Scouse? I've had friends from beautiful Ormskirk and Skelmersdale and they had a strong Scouse accent. I quite like the Scouse accent.:D

Last edited:
I've lived within 10miles of Liverpools pierhead all mee life.
I wouldnt call meeself a Scouser though, I can manage a nasel twang if I try.
I was born at the posh Northern end, but little by little I'm moving South and now live just outside Bootle,
Like being born within the sound of Bow bells... being a scouser required being born within the smell of the Mersey.

The government are going to address exactly how the grades and qualifications will be awarded but that have said it will definitely NOT be exams this year
It's about the only thing they've actually been definitive on
Re announcement this afternoon - Although they will be awarded teacher given GCSE grades, looks like they will have the option to sit exams in the autumn if they so wish.