Commute

6 miles each way on mainly quiet roads so I cycle if warm / dry enough - takes me about 30-35 minutes. Very hilly so great exercise!

15 min walk and then onto the Overground. 1 hour door to door.
if it took any longer I'd rethink my willingness, given the truly unreasonable fares and complete lack of service whenever they feel like striking...

Techitude

COMMITTEE
8.5 to 12 miles depending on which route I take. Approx. 25 minutes in, 35 minutes out - through heavily used Birmingham suburbs.

6.5 miles ish can do it in anything from 15-30 minutes traffic depending and also depending on which of the three possible routes I take, one being a nice scenic country route and the other two major A roads. I can also cycle it in 25-30 minutes (don't laugh I am not very young), but am too scared after being hit by a car and getting a bit mangled up on a notorious 50mph limit, 'B' winding country road about 7 years ago.

6.5 miles ish can do it in anything from 15-30 minutes traffic depending and also depending on which of the three possible routes I take, one being a nice scenic country route and the other two major A roads. I can also cycle it in 25-30 minutes (don't laugh I am not very young), but am too scared after being hit by a car and getting a bit mangled up on a notorious 50mph limit, 'B' winding country road about 7 years ago.
That's not bad timing for cycling. Don't blame your hesitance though, I got knocked off my bike two years ago on a 60mph "A" road; ended up in hospital for a couple of days, and losing my driving license, because of a head injury, for what should have been 6 months but ended up being nearly 11 months :mad: I'm lucky though, don't remember anything about the accident itself, so no flashbacks and no fear of cycling from it.

I now have about 8 miles, 20-30 mins depending on the traffic. I used to travel for about 1 hour depending how long it would take to get over the toll bridge. Would need an e-bike to cycle as it is a bit cotswoldy around here.

7.5 miles which on a good day takes around 20 minutes, but XXXXing Cambridge traffic has been known just recently to push that up to 1hr 15mins! :mad:

7 miles, 15 minutes drive (12 on a Saturday) through pretty countryside, though it can take as long as 40 minutes if a nearby major road is closed due to my normal route being the diversion including a single track section under a bridge!
Have considered cycling, but two large hills each way, one round a blind bend at one of the few points along the route that is national speed limit, and the only shower and changing facilities that we can use are halfway across the site.

Dino Girl

My Bite is worse than my Bark.
Mine isn't too bad. 4.8 mile drive, between 15 - 20 minutes on a typical day. My main issue is I can't drive (and I'm unlikely to since I've been left with a crippling fear of cars since my accident last year) so I'm completely dependent on lifts from family, or I have to pay through the nose for taxis that are never on time.
Hi Peter - I just sent you a DM.

21-22 miles away (less as the crow flies) - 5 min drive to station, 2 trains and a 10 min walk. (I leave at 6.50 to get in for 8.15.)

So needless to say anyone claiming they live miles away when they are only a few miles down the road is like a red rag to a bull..........

D

Deleted member 32724

15 min walk and then onto the Overground. 1 hour door to door.
if it took any longer I'd rethink my willingness, given the truly unreasonable fares and complete lack of service whenever they feel like striking...

That was pretty much my journey as well in my last school. What would be a 45 min door to door ended up being almost 2 hours if the train wasn't running as I had to take 3 buses!
On Sunday it took me 4 hours to see parents in London rather than the usual 2 because of a train strike and it cost me more money as I had to take coach, not to mention I suffer from mild car sickness so it wasn't pleasant.

The problem is these strikes are happening so frequently that if you can't find a suitable alternative it significantly adds to your everyday stress, but for some reason the lower paid are expected to support the higher paid for more pay with their own pay and health? Yeah, no sorry. :rolleyes:

3 miles from home and free parking. The main reason I went for this job!!!!
Try and cycle most of the time in an attempt to keep fit.

21-22 miles away (less as the crow flies) - 5 min drive to station, 2 trains and a 10 min walk. (I leave at 6.50 to get in for 8.15.)

So needless to say anyone claiming they live miles away when they are only a few miles down the road is like a red rag to a bull..........
The teachers all live within 3 miles of the school. Most of the techs drive for an 30 minutes to an hour to get here.