cloning cauliflower

Hi there, have been asked at short notice, as usual, to do this prac. Has any one used bought medium? Not sure how to use it and do i still need to make agar or is this all I need to decant it to small bottles ready for use.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I follow SAPS guide
(https://www.saps.org.uk/secondary/t...r-cloning-tissue-culture-and-micropropagation)

I have heard that it also works with plain agar, sugar, Milton tablets and minerals (baby bio) following the SAPS instructions and no kinetin.
I know that it is better if you get large florets as there is less chnce of the Milton killing all the cauliflower cells.
Must be made in individual McCartney bottles to maintain the milton surface sterilising effect.

Trying to make it with out any of the minerals stated only have baby bio powder.
how much of each is used as cann't find it any where. Using agar powder , sugar and baby bio but not sure of water amount
Trial and error to see if it will set as haven't been given much time scale to do it.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Think I use SAPS recipe or equivalent, but may have modified over time. Only need to buy in M&S medium and kinetin, use sucrose, milton tablet, agar and NaOH/HCl to adjust pH, which we already have..

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Trying to make it with out any of the minerals stated only have baby bio powder.
how much of each is used as cann't find it any where. Using agar powder , sugar and baby bio but not sure of water amount
Trial and error to see if it will set as haven't been given much time scale to do it.
MS medium
Ingredients
  1. Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) 1650 mg/l.
  2. Calcium chloride (CaCl2 · 2H2O) 440 mg/l.
  3. Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4 · 7H2O) 370 mg/l.
  4. Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) 170 mg/l.
  5. Potassium nitrate (KNO3) 1900 mg/l.
So it is KPN fertiliser couple of grams babybio in 1 L

There is a long list of other minor ingredients but the above works

Last edited:

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Thanks for this- I now know I have all of the major ingredients in stock, and didn't need to buy in the M&S medium after all... ! As there's plenty of kinetin left from last time (which you say is not essential too), we're potentially all set for as much cloning as they can shake a cauliflower at, without any last minute panic medium buying..
Thanks again Peter, you are on the first rung of the canonisation ladder....