Claim time back for Open evenings & Morning

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We're TTO plus 2 weeks
One of those weeks is taken up by the Inset (teacher training) days

Any and all time worked outside of our core hours are deducted from the other 5 days (or 37 hour week)
This includes open evening, after school meetings, shopping done during weekends etc. etc.

Never give them your time for free... no matter how reasonable they make it sound

Our open evening is tomorrow 5pm-8pm. I'll be at college until 8pm but I'll take the time back and go home at lunch time on Friday.
This is how I used to do it. Keep a record, take it back later. Now I can't because they need 5 days notice and form signed by the principal. It's insipid and backwards.

We never stay for open evening. We prepare everything beforehand and the teachers do all the demos etc. We then clear up the next day when everyone else has gone home for their time off.

I'm employed term time only plus 10 days so anything I do outside my core hours I knock off my 10 days. This includes the open evening - which I am happy to do as I quite enjoy it.
So far it has all been based on my honesty and no one has ever checked up on me - I keep a record in my planner. But I am sure that eventually the academy HR will catch up with me and make up some impossible system for me to adhere to!!!

I'm employed term time only plus 10 days so anything I do outside my core hours I knock off my 10 days. This includes the open evening - which I am happy to do as I quite enjoy it.
So far it has all been based on my honesty and no one has ever checked up on me - I keep a record in my planner. But I am sure that eventually the academy HR will catch up with me and make up some impossible system for me to adhere to!!!
We always do this too, any time worked over our hours is claimed back in lieu. Always worked it out amongst ourselves but this year they've clamped down and now have to have an hours sheet signed off by HOD whenever I do any extra time/shopping etc. Waste of everyone's time

It can be a nightmare taking time owed so we do whatever we can to avoid accruing it. If something can't be done in our regular hours then it can wait until we're next in. We don't do any shopping in our own time either, if we need shopping its done during our working day.

I've been onsite for open evenings for all the time I've been here the start and finish times have moved from about 6pm-9pm to about 4.30pm/5pm to 8pm/830pm but obviously the last one was cancelled and went online due to Covid. So starting at 7.45pm in the morning and finishing at 8.30pm/9pm is a very long day (even with an early tea/dinner break at a local restaurant (or a 'bring-in' buffet). I usually claim the time in lieu.

I've said for a few years about not staying (going home and coming back is not an option as it takes me 30 mins each way) and having locked horns with management recently on overtime plus the fact we now have an online 'virtual' tour I'm inclined not to stay next year and go home at the normal time.

Last edited:

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
It can be a nightmare taking time owed so we do whatever we can to avoid accruing it. If something can't be done in our regular hours then it can wait until we're next in. We don't do any shopping in our own time either, if we need shopping its done during our working day.

When we got to 5 years served and entitled to an extra week holiday I pointed out there was no time when we could take extra holiday, so I got them to add it as another paid week and then pro rata, so effectively an extra weeks pay per year.

I ask if I'm needed, if it's 'yes' I claim the time back, not the money. I've found it's not worth claiming the money as after tax it's next to nothing, whereas TOIL means I can have a couple of hours here and there (agreed in advance - about a week) when I want. The D & T Tech saved hers up and had an extra long weekend.

Hi All
Please if any of you could give me an advise on if technicians stayed for Open evening & Morning, can they claim the time back? I just want to double check if that is not a requirement for technician to stay behind on the open evenings and if we does, can we claim the time back? Thanks in advance
At my previous school we used to claim back time and a half (because it is overtime and unsocial hours). You will probably have a battle to get it but you should try!

All down to your contract. However the contact is void if it states you have to do something illegal.
A contact is made IN law, not ABOVE the law.

We always do this too, any time worked over our hours is claimed back in lieu. Always worked it out amongst ourselves but this year they've clamped down and now have to have an hours sheet signed off by HOD whenever I do any extra time/shopping etc. Waste of everyone's time
Love it when management interference overcomplicates everything!
We have a new system for our credit card use which is a real pain, creates more work and uses a forest worth of paper!

All staff that work open evening get an inset day off at the end of the summer term. Most support staff are given specific jobs and anyone who doesnt work it will be working that inset day. We also get a baguette and a cookie mid afternoon!

karen b

COMMITTEE
Here we offer technical support during open morning (a Saturday in October). We work out a rota amongst the team and come in for about an hour and a half each. We draw straws over who does the last session as we try to clear up as much as possible on the day.

We sort of count this towards our holiday working, but the terms of this are so vague and no one checks anyway

We have a taster day here, coming up in a weeks time. We work approx 9 to 1 and everyone involved gets Monday off.

Been doing open evenings for over 30 years.
Yes i appriciate its hard work, tiring and that it can be a little daunting meeting children and their parents/carers but i find it helpful and rewarding.
The science staff at both the schools ive wokrd at appriiacate it.
Have it as TOIL time and take at an appropriate time.

STEMTech

Dave
I attend open evenings voluntarily as it's so much fun. I'm not required to so probably couldn't claim for it.