Christmas shopping

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We're allowed a half day off school for Christmas shopping - yes, even with the holidays teachers get already - they are even letting me have one this afternoon - so I've posted this to my illustrious colleagues:
All,

I'm taking my half day this afternoon stuff already in for today and tomorrow morning is sorted or I've shown you where it is - anything else -
upload_2019-11-21_8-52-53.png

It is actually a gif with animation but after George's experience with gifs I've frozen it

We used to get a "speech day(prizegiving) holiday first monday in Dec, but senior management stole it off us.
I'm an old fart bloke, so Christmas shopping is done on Christmas eve (well not quite, but)
I used to work the holiday to clean up the stage after our joint school show..... so this year the stage will have to stay messy for a week or more.
T

When I started out nearly 40 years ago working for the inner London education authority ILEA all schools got a day for Christmas shopping the school closed for a day. No such luck now, wont be long before schools are even open up to and including Christmas eve. We'll be done to just 4 weeks holiday for the students same as when they go out into the big wide world of work. I think it is a shame to keep reducing all the holidays.

When I started out nearly 40 years ago working for the inner London education authority ILEA all schools got a day for Christmas shopping the school closed for a day. No such luck now, wont be long before schools are even open up to and including Christmas eve. We'll be done to just 4 weeks holiday for the students same as when they go out into the big wide world of work. I think it is a shame to keep reducing all the holidays.
Nothing at all wrong with that.

Oh so your one of these wanting to reduce childhood to nothing are you, not to mention the extra workload on me and my kind, when are the quiet times for maintenance etc going to be??????

Presume you have children, I just have grandchildren now to deal with.

Quiet times are when skoolkids and teechers are on holidays then I can get busy doing all the maintainencey things that can be best done with no interruptions.

karen b

COMMITTEE
We asked for the ability to request one day's leave for things like this but were told that we took a term-time job and so could lump it basically!

That's not to say they haven't made very occasional exceptions when absolutely necessary

Presume you have children, I just have grandchildren now to deal with.

Quiet times are when skoolkids and teechers are on holidays then I can get busy doing all the maintainencey things that can be best done with no interruptions.
But if they reduce the holidays there wont be any quiet time unless of course you don't want any holiday.

We asked for the ability to request one day's leave for things like this but were told that we took a term-time job and so could lump it basically!

That's not to say they haven't made very occasional exceptions when absolutely necessary
Could you suggest working a day in the holidays, when you could do so much more maintenance

But if they reduce the holidays there wont be any quiet time unless of course you don't want any holiday.

Even though my children are adults now and I don't need the hols. It's the thought of losing the holidays and only working Mon-Thurs is probably the only reason I want to try and stick it out till retirement or phased retirement in 4 and a bit years [May 2024] but not cutting working days and still prepping for 5!

To help smooth out workload this year, I've been working 5 days in the busy periods and will claim back all the lieu time after Easter and enjoy a 3 day week!