Chlorine water alternatives

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
Hi guys I have the halide displacement demo later this week but don't have any chlorine water, can any alternatives be used? surely another solution with Cl- ions present should work?

got any milton tabs or own brand steriliser tablets? If so, drop one in a reagent bottle, and bosh - job done. Seconds.

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
got any milton tabs or own brand steriliser tablets? If so, drop one in a reagent bottle, and bosh - job done. Seconds.
Unfortunately not, still awaiting an order to come through, any other ideas? :laughing:

DISCLAIMER: Only do this in a fume cupboard because it isn't quantitative in any way and no, of course I've never actually done this when desperate for chlorine water...
Little squirt of bleach (~ 5ml) in a 100ml measuring cylinder. Top up to 90ml with water (tap is fine) then add 10ml of 1M HCl. Dilute as needed.
Only keeps for a day or two.

That one looks good but the last bit is unusually vague - "dilute to a suitable volume with more water". How much water do you add at the end please?
As much as you can without losing the green colour altogether. It really doesn't matter you just need to be a noticable decolourisation.

That one looks good but the last bit is unusually vague - "dilute to a suitable volume with more water". How much water do you add at the end please?
What @gsyrup said above..... :) Test it to see it has the desired effect - if it's still slightly green, in my experience it'll do what it's supposed to for anything we do here... :)