chemical gardens

Hi All

We are running chemical gardens with STEM club. Some of the metal compound we have in stock are powders as opposed to granules or crystals so they don't give a great effect when dropped into the sodium silicate. Does anyone know of a method where I can take the powder and make it more crystalline for use in this experiment? I'm thinking along the lines of when I mix potassium permanganate with magnesium nitrate to make crystals for use in convection experiments. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi All

We are running chemical gardens with STEM club. Some of the metal compound we have in stock are powders as opposed to granules or crystals so they don't give a great effect when dropped into the sodium silicate. Does anyone know of a method where I can take the powder and make it more crystalline for use in this experiment? I'm thinking along the lines of when I mix potassium permanganate with magnesium nitrate to make crystals for use in convection experiments. Any ideas?

Thanks
Have you tried just with the powders...swear i did this a few years ago and all i had were powders...worked ok but probably not as well as wee crystals - this was in water glass.

Have you tried just with the powders...swear i did this a few years ago and all i had were powders...worked ok but probably not as well as wee crystals - this was in water glass.
Hi Yes I tried with the powders but they dont crystalize/grow tall in the same way so dont look as effective.