Cheek cell practical

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Only if your outbreak management protocols are in operation or your school has specified not to do it
CLEAPSS are fine with it otherwise

If you're back to "normal" then nothing stopping you.....

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Only if your outbreak management protocols are in operation or your school has specified not to do it

That's true but here definitely no - we had 10 +ves on Monday with a further 20 self isolating due to having had the virus - not worth the risk especially when the liver gives just as good a result.

My teachers never read the CLEAPSS stuff, and I don't fancy handling the swabs after the kids have used them then abandoned them in the tray instead of the bin, so I've told them they're still not allowed ;):laughing:

No to cheek cells still.
Use fresh liver - lambs or pork. Just fresh cut and smear a spatula over the cut surface then smear on side. methylene blue and cover slip. I'vde even tried frozen and once thawed works just as well
Thank you, are we allowed to use the liver as demo or practical?

The biologist in our department finds that the liver practical can be messy and a bit hit and miss. However, I have shown the department how to find epithelial cells using the inside of the wrist and some sellotape. We demo'd it friday and the class are doing it this week. Works ok.

This what i get from the lamb liver, is this a good one?

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image 4.jpg
    thumbnail_Image 4.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail_Image 5.jpg
    thumbnail_Image 5.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
We're using the lambs liver alternative and it works great. I don't want to go near anything that the kids have put in their mouths and I don't think that it is good practice to encourage kids to stick things in their mouths in a lab generally and especially not in a global pandemic...Hopefully we will never go back

Well, good for CLEAPSS! If someone from CLEAPSS would like to pop along to clean up then they are welcome.
Personally my answer will be resounding no! Bloody ridiculous.

We're using the lambs liver alternative and it works great. I don't want to go near anything that the kids have put in their mouths and I don't think that it is good practice to encourage kids to stick things in their mouths in a lab generally and especially not in a global pandemic...Hopefully we will never go back
EXACTLY!!