Chaotic Class - Very Challenging pupils

Hi everyone,

Let's say we have a very challenging kids class, a class that is turned in chaotic very frequently,

What can we - the technicians - do when we observe such a situation or get back the trays and the equipment in a huge mess,

Regards

That problem belongs with the class teacher. It's entirely up to them to take responsibility for the pupil behaviour. As for the equipment coming back in a mess - again that's the teacher's responsibility. I don't give it out in a mess so I don't expect it back in a mess either. You need to have a word with the teacher concerned and let them know that it's not acceptable to let the pupils leave everything in a mess for you to clear up. It's really about respect.

That problem belongs with the class teacher. It's entirely up to them to take responsibility for the pupil behaviour. As for the equipment coming back in a mess - again that's the teacher's responsibility. I don't give it out in a mess so I don't expect it back in a mess either. You need to have a word with the teacher concerned and let them know that it's not acceptable to let the pupils leave everything in a mess for you to clear up. It's really about respect.
Hi everyone,

Let's say we have a very challenging kids class, a class that is turned in chaotic very frequently,

What can we - the technicians - do when we observe such a situation or get back the trays and the equipment in a huge mess,

Regards
I'd agree with Smith12 if they can't ensure that chemicals/equipment properly and safely then it's probably a Classroom Behaviour issue.:);)

Very difficult, we have challenging teachers too that cause all manner of crazy messes, despite being told by numerous HoD's & management over the years. His answer, 'don't care'.:mad: Couldn't get away with it in 'normal' job.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
If the teacher's continually abuse equipment downgrade them in terms of what you give them. Fewer sets if they can't manage the numbers, second grade equipment if they won't look after it or even demo only. Otherwise it is unfair on those who do manage it properly as it will all be broken.

I've gone into the class as they are clearing up before now to point the students in the right direction of the washing up bowl, chemical return etc

Frustrating but better than a game of Jenga on the trolley as you are pushing it back.

If the teacher's continually abuse equipment downgrade them in terms of what you give them. Fewer sets if they can't manage the numbers, second grade equipment if they won't look after it or even demo only. Otherwise it is unfair on those who do manage it properly as it will all be broken.
Hahahaha, what an ideal world you live in!
This is a teacher who BROKE THE PREP ROOM DOOR DOWN when we locked it! ( and nothing was done about it.) This is a teacher who is in a senior position in the school. This is a teacher who has been here 20 years and does exactly as he wants often to the detriment of the tech. He has gone through 9 techs in that time, all of whom have complained, all of whom tried to give him limited equipment/chemicals, all of whom have been 'told off' by various HoD's who pretty much say just give him what he wants, or he just takes it from store.
Apart from that he can be a nice guy, he admits he's 'on the spectrum' poss ADHD.
I do think people on here have to just be 'an ear, or a shoulder' sometimes & not do the 'well I'd do this, he wouldn't get away with it with me' bit.
There are teachers, even techs, who you just can't get through to, and they will carry on their bad behaviour whatever anyone does or says.
Unfortunately it is unfair on others, but when you have teachers, techs & sometimes even kids, complaining to no avail, there's no answer but to grit your teeth and whinge in the prep room!

Techitude

COMMITTEE
I do think people on here have to just be 'an ear, or a shoulder' sometimes & not do the 'well I'd do this, he wouldn't get away with it with me' bit.
100% this.
I know people are often just trying to help but sometimes the rose tinted glasses creep in. Some teachers are just difficult people, no where does it say you have to be nice to teach kids...

But most places have policies in place to deal with this sort of situation. Why should multiple other people be miserable/put in danger by the actions of one person? What happens when his "don't care" attitude flips into the way he behaves with students? Is that already happening? It's not acceptable and the only way to deal with it is for someone to take charge of the situation.

Join a union and take the matter up at a local level. If you don't get any satisfaction there, move to regional and finally to national.

One of the reasons us techs won't go into classes here is because of the students and their behaviour. We're not trained to deal with the students and their behaviour especially if any of them might have SEN requirements or similar to worry about. That means anything occurring in a lesson is the teachers responsibility.
As for the equipment coming back in a mess, that something we just have to take on the chin. We've been trying for years to get teachers to make sure equipment is put back tidily, but for whatever reason it just doesn't happen. we're starting to look at different ways of prepping stuff to make it easier to use, but even if everything is in nice little separate kits it still comes back trashed.

The only way for the class to behave is for the teacher to take control, by whatever means necessary. The only way for the teacher to want to take control is if the support staff cease to support them. "No time to turn out your late request" can translate into "No time to sort out your mess before the next person needs the kit, so you don't get it".

I have, in the past, binned whole boxes of glassware after finding (the hard way) coverslips or capillary tubes mixed in. This is then reported to the person in charge of the culprit.

This is a teacher who BROKE THE PREP ROOM DOOR DOWN when we locked it! ( and nothing was done about it.) This is a teacher who is in a senior position in the school. This is a teacher who has been here 20 years and does exactly as he wants often to the detriment of the tech. He has gone through 9 techs in that time, all of whom have complained, all of whom tried to give him limited equipment/chemicals, all of whom have been 'told off' by various HoD's who pretty much say just give him what he wants, or he just takes it from store.
Apart from that he can be a nice guy, he admits he's 'on the spectrum' poss ADHD.
There are teachers, even techs, who you just can't get through to, and they will carry on their bad behaviour whatever anyone does or says.
Unfortunately it is unfair on others, but when you have teachers, techs & sometimes even kids, complaining to no avail, there's no answer but to grit your teeth and whinge in the prep room!
I wouldn't grin and bear it under those circumstances, I'd be checking out vacancies elsewhere unless you are on a huge salary it's just not worth it

karen b

COMMITTEE
This is a teacher who BROKE THE PREP ROOM DOOR DOWN when we locked it! ( and nothing was done about it.) This is a teacher who is in a senior position in the school.
This is a dreadful situation to be in, but it is at the very extreme end of teacher or student behaviour and not what anyone would expect to happen.

I agree that sometimes this is what people want. But if a query is posted in Top tips I would expect them to be asking for advice in the main

This is a dreadful situation to be in, but it is at the very extreme end of teacher or student behaviour and not what anyone would expect to happen.

I agree that sometimes this is what people want. But if a query is posted in Top tips I would expect them to be asking for advice in the main
Update on same teacher. Did the Custard powder demo:blowing cornflour into flame. Added Magnesium powder, sugar & lord knows what else, don't know exactly what went on but upshot was badly burnt floor ( about 8 inch circle), powder & mess everywhere. HoD called up, he & another teacher cleaned the room...