Centrifuging Blood

Hi Guys!

One of our teachers had requested some blood to centrifuge out into its components, but unfortunately it didn't work and I can't seem to get it to work either. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before and had any joy with it?

It was span at x4500 for 10 minutes, then a further 10 minutes and then for 20 minutes after that by the teacher and nothing seemed to happen
I then spun it for around 40 minutes at the same speed and once again nothing seems to have worked

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks! :)

karen b

COMMITTEE
Did you literally put some blood in a centrifuge tube and then spin it? A quick search seems to show that you need some kind of anticoagulant mixed in with the blood.

Found this online...
https://www.proimmune.com/ecommerce/pdf_files/PR31.pdf

and...

PLASMA
  1. Draw 12 mL of whole blood for each 5 mL of serum or plasma needed. Collect in an appropriate collection tube.
  2. Centrifuge for at least 15 minutes at 2200-2500 RPM.
  3. Pipette the serum or plasma into a clean plastic screw-cap vial and attach the label. Do not transfer red cells to the vial.

Hi Guys!

One of our teachers had requested some blood to centrifuge out into its components, but unfortunately it didn't work and I can't seem to get it to work either. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before and had any joy with it?

It was span at x4500 for 10 minutes, then a further 10 minutes and then for 20 minutes after that by the teacher and nothing seemed to happen
I then spun it for around 40 minutes at the same speed and once again nothing seems to have worked

what blood did you use?

Hi Guys!

what blood did you use?
Found this online...
https://www.proimmune.com/ecommerce/pdf_files/PR31.pdf

and...

PLASMA
  1. Draw 12 mL of whole blood for each 5 mL of serum or plasma needed. Collect in an appropriate collection tube.
  2. Centrifuge for at least 15 minutes at 2200-2500 RPM.
  3. Pipette the serum or plasma into a clean plastic screw-cap vial and attach the label. Do not transfer red cells to the vial.
Did you literally put some blood in a centrifuge tube and then spin it? A quick search seems to show that you need some kind of anticoagulant mixed in with the blood.
Are you aiming to demonstrate the Haemocrit? How has the blood been stored? Try diluting the blood in Phosphate Buffered Saline (PSB) in equal volumes and centrifuge at a higher g force. I don't hink that 2500 rpm is sufficient to pellet the cells - it certainly would not seperate the cream in whole milk.:)

Remember Relative Centrifugal Force (RCF) or G-force = 1.12 x Radius x (rpm/1000)2

the blood needs to be very fresh otherwise it will be haemolysed and not separate out properly....who have you been bleeding (and why...?)

Thank you all for the replies. Seems like the blood we have might be too old, it was a last minute 'lets see if this works' request so I thought I might have missed something

We had some horse blood in the fridge from a previous experiment before I started my job here, so I thought that might work. But sadly it didn't :(
Seems like it would be something that couldn't be done as the blood would need to be really fresh and a lot of it, so I doubt a student would want to bleed haha!

Thank you all for the replies. Seems like the blood we have might be too old, it was a last minute 'lets see if this works' request so I thought I might have missed something

We had some horse blood in the fridge from a previous experiment before I started my job here, so I thought that might work. But sadly it didn't :(
Seems like it would be something that couldn't be done as the blood would need to be really fresh and a lot of it, so I doubt a student would want to bleed haha!
Blood has a limited shelf life.:);)

In the past I have managed to pipette up excess blood from particularly juicy hearts or plucks that we have had from the butcher for dissection and it usually centrifuges nicely - wouldn't aim to store it for more than a couple of days though. Preferable to obtaining blood from the butcher as they only supply it in 2 litre milk bottles (wtf to do with the remaining 1.9+ litres of blood - and no, I'm not a fan of black pudding).

In the past I have managed to pipette up excess blood from particularly juicy hearts or plucks that we have had from the butcher for dissection and it usually centrifuges nicely - wouldn't aim to store it for more than a couple of days though. Preferable to obtaining blood from the butcher as they only supply it in 2 litre milk bottles (wtf to do with the remaining 1.9+ litres of blood - and no, I'm not a fan of black pudding).
Or Vampires!:D:D:D

Ah brilliant thank you! Ive got an order of hearts coming in soon so I'll keep the blood from them and see how it works!

Daughter biomedical scientist for NHS Salford Royal haematology dept - centrifuge 3,000 rpm for 5 mins untreated whole fresh blood never frozen - works every time

You could get some from a local abbatoir (if you can find one) and stop it lysing or coagulating for a day or so with a small amount of sodium citrate (the amount is not critical for this purpose) in the container before the blood is poured in.

Are you aiming to demonstrate the Haemocrit? How has the blood been stored? Try diluting the blood in Phosphate Buffered Saline (PSB) in equal volumes and centrifuge at a higher g force. I don't hink that 2500 rpm is sufficient to pellet the cells - it certainly would not seperate the cream in whole milk.:)

Remember Relative Centrifugal Force (RCF) or G-force = 1.12 x Radius x (rpm/1000)2
Where to get the blood from? What are the health and safety issues about it to prepare risk assessment? How to dispose it Please? Many thanks

Hi Guys!

Not wanting to be a know it all (which I am) you really need a more powerful centrifuge if your aim is to get a Haemocrit value. You're 4500 rpm is right at the lower end but you can buy cheap microcentrifuges that can deliver 10000g