Catalyst for Cracking

I have a beaker of little pieces of unidentified stones that get used for the cracking experiment.

Does anyone know what these are and where I can buy more?

I thought they were pumice stones but now I'm not so sure.

We use broken terracotta plant pots and a good blob of vaseline on the mineral wool works just as well and doesn't smell as bad as pure paraffin oil. you can also use broken crucibles or evap basins. I prefer the plant pots though

Oh thanks! I have loads of lids for crucibles that haven't survived a lesson :laughing: that would work well!

I've used pumice for cracking before so your unidentified stone could well be that. We mostly use porous pot though - AKA broken crucibles/evaporating basins!

We use broken terracotta plant pots and a good blob of vaseline on the mineral wool works just as well and doesn't smell as bad as pure paraffin oil. you can also use broken crucibles or evap basins. I prefer the plant pots though
If your teachers are open to trying microscale procedures, the microscale cracking from CLEAPSS works fantastically and is much less stinky :)

Ghreat idea with the basins and crucibles but could you explain how use the Vaseline?