Casual Biological Book recommendations

Just wanting to improve our schools offering of casual science books and thought id ask if anyone had any good reads they would recommend tailored more towards biology.

I also would like a good read for myself

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
I used to read a book when I was in sixth form called spillover, about zoonoses and how infections jump between species, got me interested in infectious diseases and biology etc. bit ironic how it's conclusions indirectly predicted an outbreak like covid-19.

I really recommend Origins: How the Earth Made Us by Lewis Dartnell.
It's not pure biology, more of a mix of geology, human evolution, chemistry and history, but it's very well written and I couldn't put it down.

The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee is also great, might require some basic genetics knowledge to make it a more enjoyable read though. It's beautifully written and really takes you on a journey :)

The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins. First read it (borrowed a copy from the library) as part of my degree course at Uni, but managed to pick a copy up in a charity shop and re-read it for pleasure a couple of times since. :) I made a poster of it for my door on World Book Day last year..... :cool: