Can one use 'old' petri dishes for a microbiology practical?

Morning all,

According to CLEAPSS (GL277) it recommends using new petri dishes for microbiology practicals, and it also states using an autoclave will melt such dishes, so can one then assume there is no suitable method to sterilise old' petri dishes for this practical?

Many thanks :)

Not for plastic ones - at least not available to schools. If you have a class set of glass ones you could.

Only if you use glass ones I suppose but for safety it's better to use new plastic ones and just destroy them along with any contaminated agar when they are finished with.

You can sterilise them with UV as they are done in the factory but im not sure if there are any kits of the apparatus that would be small/cheap enough for school use.

It would be very handy though because I hate having to open up a full pack of 20 or 30 to get a handful of plates out of it because then it renders the rest of the back unsterile.

You can sterilise them with UV as they are done in the factory but im not sure if there are any kits of the apparatus that would be small/cheap enough for school use.

It would be very handy though because I hate having to open up a full pack of 20 or 30 to get a handful of plates out of it because then it renders the rest of the back unsterile.
I re-seal my sterile packs immediately after removing the few that I need. In theory they have lost their sterility but in practice I find they are perfectly fine and grow nothing unless they are inoculated and give what is expected when they are!

I re-seal my sterile packs immediately after removing the few that I need. In theory they have lost their sterility but in practice I find they are perfectly fine and grow nothing unless they are inoculated and give what is expected when they are!
mostly they are not sterile anyway, just made in a clean room.

If you want sterile they usually don't say so or not - have to check product information carefully to get ones which are sterile.
I got a 500 box of these last year - not shown as sterile - but have done over 100 plates and not one was contaminated

Morning all,

According to CLEAPSS (GL277) it recommends using new petri dishes for microbiology practicals, and it also states using an autoclave will melt such dishes, so can one then assume there is no suitable method to sterilise old' petri dishes for this practical?

Many thanks :)
The simple answer to this question is don't use used Petri Dishes.:);)