Busy?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I know as soon as I post this that things will change, BUT we are sooooo quiet it's driving me insane!:bored:
It's nearly 2 'clock, I have 2 hrs to go & the only thing I have to do is climb the walls because I am so bored!! I was always told only boring people are bored, but honestly, I'm trying here!
Due to quiet times recently we have managed to do all the usual background jobs. Inventory update - equipment & chemical, glassware counts, paperwork, cleaning, sorting, noticeboards, checking that what it says is in each drawer, is actually what's in it & so on.
I have no practicals at all tomorrow or Friday...AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
Please don't let the Gods of science suddenly decide to do everything at once though;)
Unbelievably busy here. After missing nearly 18 months of academic work - the management decided to waste the whole of this half term (5 weeks) doing 'FUN THINGS' - as usual most departments have arranged vists, trips camping and guest speakers leaving us to do 'science 'FUN THINGS' for 5 weeks - So full class practicals - Moja Island took up a week and now we are in the middle of building water rockets to fly next week. unfortunatley none of this is neither planned nor coordinated so everytime I get things ready a group disappears to do something else. Absolute chaos has ensued and no end on the horizon. The kids are past being over excited and are now misbehaving big style!!!!:vampire:

Last edited:
Wow!!! Your place sounds fun - poltergeist perhaps?
I wonder if we could get it to work in Estates - then something would actually move down there... Presently there's a contractor on the lift, but no-one's arrived to lift up the cabinet. Sadly the trolley prevented the cabinet from hitting the ground and severing its connections - which would've shut down internet and intranet connection across the campus... that would've made a few heads look up. At the moment, it is still running but in an odd position.

Unbelievably busy here. After missing nearly 18 months of academic work - the management decided to waste the whole of this half term (5 weeks) doing 'FUN THINGS' - as usual most departments have arranged vists, trips camping and guest speakers leaving us to do 'science 'FUN THINGS' for 5 weeks - So full class practicals - Moja Island took up a week and now we are in the middle of building water rockets to fly next week. unfortunatley none of this is neither planned nor coordinated so everytime I get things ready a group disappears to do something else. Absolute chaos has ensued and no end on the horizon. The kids are past being over excited and are now misbehaving big style!!!!:vampire:
We are thinking that we will have this happening soon! Especially as we no longer have 'trips week' or work experience for Year 10's.
Think I'll start collecting bottles, just in case.

The catering team here call me Oliver Twist here, as I always come down with my own bowl for them to fill up - I always hear, ''here he is with his bowl again'' & ''please sir, can I have some more''. Goats cheese and caramelized onion wellington - you think anything can get me away from this?!?!
Blimey, there's posh! I dread to think how our canteen would ruin that dish.
I once though they had put Nachos on top of a meal...turned out to be triangles of raw pasta! Surprised no one broke a tooth.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We are thinking that we will have this happening soon! Especially as we no longer have 'trips week' or work experience for Year 10's.
I asked the teachers to get pupils to bring in bottles - what an absolute failure - good job I had collected 40+ over the last year.
This mornings rocket lesson was abandoned because they had hired bouncy castles and giant slides for the day (without telling anyone) I'm sure we must have lost a few kids

Last edited:
Everyone is behind here but the plan says careers stuff then fun week, as long as they keep out of the labs it will be fine.

Running around like a Headless Chicken, firefighting !!! here too many priority jobs and no time before the summer !!

In Australia we finish up tomorrow for 3 weeks. Just finished cleaning 11 crates of glassware from Year 12 titration and now find I don't have a lot to do. As our school year finishes in December all of our kids have started on next semester work so it is quiet and calm!!! I am now about to tackle all the paperwork that has found it's way to my desk!

We have a quiet week after two fairly hectic ones.

Year 11 and 13 have finished, Year 12 have just had exams and have a UCAS day tomorrow. Year 10 are isolating at home after some positive cases.

Tidying up after random lessons last week. Finally getting in labs to check and reset trolleys.

Just helped rescue a bird from a fume cupboard ducting
Birds in fume cupboard ducting are a common problem here too (and kittens in the ceiling)!!

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Sitting here in the semi-dark, waiting for a parent to collect a rescued field mouse on my desk..
Averaging only 2-3 practicals a day, so do them slowly (for once).
Having done all the annual checks I can think of, now mending stuff that I haven't used in yonks... and I hate soldering!
As so not busy, takes 10x the effort to do stuff...
finding it hard to string coherent sentences together...

We have nothing either so I have washed every plant pot, seed tray, mini cloches, all the tools ,inside glass panels, racking and re-organised and repaired bits in the green house.
Waiting on some nice bright paint so I can start painting the tubs and metal basket thingies on stands.

We've currently got about half the number of practicals we'd normally have happening but they all seem to be in the same lessons - so it's a rush and then nothing :laughing: After a year of motivating myself to get on with admin tasks and sort out everything, I'm running out of steam for anything that isn't practical tbh...

I usually hate this time of year because I rush to get all the end of year jobs done in case I run out of time. Then I never run out of time and sit around going mad with boredom. I'm not sure how but this year I seem to have a steady stream of thing to keep me occupied which is great. Mind you, one of the jobs I somehow ended up doing was cleaning the lime deposits out of the lime water bottles :laughing::laughing: Not exactly high end stuff but it was sooo satisfying to see them all nice and clear. Sad I know !!! :laughing:

We have nothing either so I have washed every plant pot, seed tray, mini cloches, all the tools ,inside glass panels, racking and re-organised and repaired bits in the green house.
Waiting on some nice bright paint so I can start painting the tubs and metal basket thingies on stands.
That sounds like a nice job. We were supposed to get a greenhouse years ago, but it came to nothing.