BURNING MONEY

If only I had money to burn to check!

I would suspect there might be issues as the ethanol will not soak into the plastic notes. It should still work with a £20 as they are paper or even one of the elusive £50 notes (saw one of those at the weekend and had to stop to look at it as I haven't seen one in years)

thanks for the quick replys its a member of SLT so i'll see if he what to put more moeny of the line

No you cannot, I asked the royal mint about it :D

We printed off a load of currency.

But if you are doing this just have a heat proof mat to one side to go on top for when someone sets it on fire! Also don't forget to add a salt to colour the flame.

Nooo ! Unless you want a shrinkle bank note :)
We saved an old fiver for this, it's in a plastic baggie in my safe labelled with dire warnings not to lose it or change it for a new one !

Monopoly money or something similar would work as an alternative because its paper? I know its not quite as risky or exciting but ah well :p

I loved it when a teacher did this & 'forgot' (?!) to soak it in ethanol, simply set fire to his money. Then in his panic, knocked over the bottle of ethanol & set fire to the desk.
Ahhh, good times.:p

I loved it when a teacher did this & 'forgot' (?!) to soak it in ethanol, simply set fire to his money. Then in his panic, knocked over the bottle of ethanol & set fire to the desk.
Ahhh, good times.:p

Lol :D bet the class loved that

Nope nope nope! One of our chemistry teachers did this at an open night last year and apparently the £5 note shrunk up like a crisp packet :rolleyes:

This is going back a bit, but when I was a kid we used to collect up our crisp packets to make keyrings. We used to put them in the oven and they'd shrink, but they kept all the detail. They looked great and I made a few quid in pocket money by selling them to my friends.
I don't think it can be done now though, I'm guessing from the smell that they might have been toxic :eek: and I think packets are made of different material these days.

This is going back a bit, but when I was a kid we used to collect up our crisp packets to make keyrings. We used to put them in the oven and they'd shrink, but they kept all the detail. They looked great and I made a few quid in pocket money by selling them to my friends.
I don't think it can be done now though, I'm guessing from the smell that they might have been toxic :eek: and I think packets are made of different material these days.
We did this too - twas in the 70s if memory serves, ahhhh those heady days of toxic crisp packets, angel delight, smash, pop tarts and polyester. How in gods name did we survive!

karen b

COMMITTEE

we glued safety pins to the back to wear them as badges

karen b

COMMITTEE
And me....We had a lot of fun. Remember Plasticraft kits?

One of my brothers had this one Christmas. I remember him making a couple of paperweights. I had a soap making kit, and my other brother possibly had a chemistry set.