Bunsen Burners soot on boiling tubes

Greetings to everyone,

Is shoot which remains on boiling tubes by the Bunsen Burners need any manual removal before the dishwasher?

Regards

Getting rid of soot and also stuff outside the tubes after anion testing was a horrible job. I now put plastic gloves on and on top of those a pair of exfoliating gloves (£1 from Home Bargains or a pound shop) I just rub the outside of the dirty tube and most of it comes off and put in the dishwasher cage for a wash.

Getting rid of soot and also stuff outside the tubes after anion testing was a horrible job. I now put plastic gloves on and on top of those a pair of exfoliating gloves (£1 from Home Bargains or a pound shop) I just rub the outside of the dirty tube and most of it comes off and put in the dishwasher cage for a wash.
Oooh I love this idea - thank you for sharing!

I loathe scrubbing so I keep a small bottle of 2M sodium hydroxide labelled "soot soak" (careful, it's corrosive, wear full goggles and gloves to handle).

Sit the tubes in a beaker of this for a couple of minutes so the soot is covered, then remove them, allow the excess to drain off into the beaker and wipe with paper towel. No elbow grease, comes off to a shine instantly. Rinse off to remove any excess NaOH or throw in the dishwasher.

The soot soak can be poured back into the bottle for next time.

Greetings to everyone,

Is shoot which remains on boiling tubes by the Bunsen Burners need any manual removal before the dishwasher?

Regards
Hi
I find the least messy clear up is to wipe the carbon dust on the outside surface of your test tubes using dry paper towel and only try to clean it with soapy water and a scouring pad.
It is a nice clean way to tackle this task.
But wear gloves and bin the soiled paper towel promptly.
Hth

I've had the same issue but found that "magic" eraser sponges from the household aisle work quite well with no scrubbing required. However, I'm liking the sound of "soot soak", thanks for the tip!

I put them in an acid bath of 1M hydrochloric for a few minutes then wash by hand. The acid bath makes them a lot easier to clean.