Big Lead Castle

phystech3d

the_eco_dude
Hi all, we've just found an interesting lead castle at the back a cupboard in what is now out chemistry preproom, and I was wondering if any of you lovely people would have some idea of what it's used for, and if we might want to keep a hold of it? It weighs maybe 40kg and the front has a door wich latches closed, I just about managed to lift the lid off, and it seems to have a device inside, which connects to the socket on the back. The whole thing is inch thick lead. We're currently thinking of just chucking it (responsibly, it is still lead). I can't find anything about what it is online anywhere, apart from a vague possibility that it's a Gamma-ray Spectrometer, but that looks like it needs more things plugged in.

Thanks,
Seth

thumbnail_IMG20210323145453.jpgthumbnail_IMG20210323145616.jpg

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Lead castle iirc is an old fashioned name for a lead shield for gamma radiation
That fitting on the front looks like a GM Tube attachment I think

I've not come across one of those before.

There's an advert for one here (bottom left advert, a few lines down) from 1991, for £350.

Ooh that would be nice, I'll take some more pics and post it up on the buy/sell/exchange forum, shipping might be a problem, but I'm sure we could work something out...
Have I missed something? Is there a buy/sell/exchange forum, on here? Found it! Bottom of the page. D'oh!

If no one buys it, you should consider a scrap yard, 40kg of lead would put a little money back in the coffers.

phystech3d

the_eco_dude
If no one buys it, you should consider a scrap yard, 40kg of lead would put a little money back in the coffers.
we've looking into that, the going rate seems to be around £1 per kilo, so it's something, but I'd prefer it went to someone who could use it!

we've looking into that, the going rate seems to be around £1 per kilo, so it's something, but I'd prefer it went to someone who could use it!
Agreed, reuse is definitely better, but as a last resort..

By the way, I don't know if you've ever sold scrap at a scrap yard before but these days you need ID and bank details.