Best filter paper for chromatography

Greetings to everyone,

Would you recommend any specifications for a smooth chromatography practical?

Regards

If you can splash out for actual chromatography paper do. It's much easier to use from a tech's POV. I hate cutting even strips out of those circles and there's so much waste.
If not, make sure you don't get any labelled as 'fast flow rate'- it's usually got an uneven surface that's no good for chromatography.
I have used sci-chem medium flow rate paper in a pinch and it's perfectly fine.

If you can splash out for actual chromatography paper do. It's much easier to use from a tech's POV. I hate cutting even strips out of those circles and there's so much waste.
If not, make sure you don't get any labelled as 'fast flow rate'- it's usually got an uneven surface that's no good for chromatography.
I have used sci-chem medium flow rate paper in a pinch and it's perfectly fine.
Is this No 1 or Grade A?

In terms of shape, size or dimensions?

Just your basic cheap and nasty student grade :p The 125mm circles
well the thing is they need rectangles,

They always put four different known colours and an unknown mixture,

So I figure it has to be rectangle in terms of shape,

So now I am working out the width of the rectangles, I suppose it must be more than 5 cm wide

well the thing is they need rectangles,

They always put four different known colours and an unknown mixture,

So I figure it has to be rectangle in terms of shape,

So now I am working out the width of the rectangles, I suppose it must be more than 5 cm wide
I though you were talking about cutting the strips from the circles! :p By cutting the round edges off. (The leftovers can be used when you are using the paper to draw off liquids, e.g. staining for microscopy)

I though you were talking about cutting the strips from the circles! :p By cutting the round edges off. (The leftovers can be used when you are using the paper to draw off liquids, e.g. staining for microscopy)
Even if using them this way it is against a lot of wasted material left behind,

Why not to buy rectangle? More expensive?

You're going to be cutting it up regardless, but for a slightly easier life it's best to buy chromatography paper - we get 25x25cm sheets and cut them to the required size. You can also buy it on a roll, but that limits the different size bits you can cut.
Chromatography paper is more expensive than filter paper, but I think it's worth it when you take wastage and time saved into account.

You're going to be cutting it up regardless, but for a slightly easier life it's best to buy chromatography paper - we get 25x25cm sheets and cut them to the required size. You can also buy it on a roll, but that limits the different size bits you can cut.
Chromatography paper is more expensive than filter paper, but I think it's worth it when you take wastage and time saved into account.

We currently have the Whatman Filter Paper 1 (32 cm) and I do the cutting but teachers complain is too slow

Like I said, splash out for the proper stuff if you possibly can.
Ours is proper chromatography paper, comes in 20x20cm sheets and is very easy to cut quickly into 10x2 strips on repro's guillotine. I can do many sheets at a time that way.

We currently have the Whatman Filter Paper 1 (32 cm) and I do the cutting but teachers complain is too slow
32 cm ? You have foot-wide filter paper circles ?!
Can't comment on the speed as we can't afford Whatman papers, we buy the cheapest of the cheap :laughing:, so I can't run a comparison for you. But nobody has ever complained about the chromatography paper we use. (SLS product code CHR1924)

We currently use Whatman chromatography grade 1 and the biology teacher has requested we buy 'proper chromatography paper rather than whatman', presumably to get better separation. Am i right in thinking that the paper we currently use is already a good standard? Does anyone use anything better than this and can i have the supplier if you do.

We currently use Whatman chromatography grade 1 and the biology teacher has requested we buy 'proper chromatography paper rather than whatman', presumably to get better separation. Am i right in thinking that the paper we currently use is already a good standard? Does anyone use anything better than this and can i have the supplier if you do.
I agree with you, Whatman is proper chromatography paper. Anything more expensive is just silly for school use I'd have thought.

I also use Whatman Chromatography paper. CHR1. Cut into strips on the rotary cutter - never takes long and it goes a long way. 6 out of each sheet to fit 250ml beakers.

32 cm ? You have foot-wide filter paper circles ?!
Can't comment on the speed as we can't afford Whatman papers, we buy the cheapest of the cheap :laughing:, so I can't run a comparison for you. But nobody has ever complained about the chromatography paper we use. (SLS product code CHR1924)
We have a load of 27cm circles. We use them (rarely) for filtering very large volumes...