Battery powered microscopes in a non-science classroom?

Afternoon all,

Just curious about use of microscopes in a non-lab that are battery powered?

It seems CLEAPSS is fine using them with pre-prepared slides (as opposed to students preparing them).

Practicals are still banned here for now though

Many thanks :)

Don't worry about it, they will ask for stuff when they want it and it is their Risk Assessment that will apply, not yours.
Stick them in quarantine when they are used.

Battery powered ones would be great for rooms with few plugs and would save 'trailing leads'. We don't have any sadly although there are a few old mirror ones for when its a very sunny day haha

I have taken these to non science rooms in the past with pre-prepared slides. Not had any issues with them.

As Dod said it falls to the teacher to have a risk assessment for the room and practical.

If you can get some they are really good, a previous HOD insisted we spent money on a set, I think they were about £50 each, she hated the the mirror ones we had.

So I got cc'd into an email this morning with the head of KS3 stating that the microscope practical will go ahead in a non-lab.

I see a few problems with this:
- She states each student will have a microscope, yet I only have 20/30 battery powered 'scopes. This was her argument that as each student will have their own microscope
- She states the equipment can be left in a storage cupboard in another department - does this have keys to be locked?
- How does one manage the risk of broken slides - our labs have broken glass storage containers, normal rooms do not. Also, are there any H&S issues around glass on carpets (I thought it was an issue for the cleaners?) I can do this in grateful trays but I still need to move them with the scopes to the classroom
- She states I will be sanitizing the equipment, whereas (being a lone tech) I feel quarantining is the way forward. Obviously this isn't needed within a bubble.
- She also stated that she was on one of the CLEAPSS earlier webinars with me, and that the she states that the webinar states that as long as practicals can be done in a 'safe' environment, then it can go ahead. This is wrong, as the main issues highlighted were around intervention of the teacher with the student (this is down to the teachers RA).

Trouble is, apparently the principal has given the go ahead, but nothing is in writing from her and this goes against the schools latest RA.

I'm all for doing practical work, but I follow the rules when they are there. Thoughts?

- She states each student will have a microscope, yet I only have 20/30 battery powered 'scopes. This was her argument that as each student will have their own microscope
How many in the class?

as long as you supply wipes for the eyepieces they can share them, if they clean them.

- She states the equipment can be left in a storage cupboard in another department - does this have keys to be locked?
as long as it stays in the bubble it does not need quarantining, the teacher will need a separate one to demo though. I have circuits stuff in labs that yr12/13 bubble are using, our bubbles are in fixed areas.
- How does one manage the risk of broken slides - our labs have broken glass storage containers, normal rooms do not. Also, are there any H&S issues around glass on carpets (I thought it was an issue for the cleaners?) I can do this in grateful trays but I still need to move them with the scopes to the classroom
this rarely happens here, you could supply a glass bin.
- She states I will be sanitising the equipment, whereas (being a lone tech) I feel quarantining is the way forward. Obviously this isn't needed within a bubble.
they can't be sanitised, too many delicate parts, quarantine is only needed when it moves to another bubble or comes back.
- She also stated that she was on one of the CLEAPSS earlier webinars with me, and that the she states that the webinar states that as long as practicals can be done in a 'safe' environment, then it can go ahead. This is wrong, as the main issues highlighted were around intervention of the teacher with the student (this is down to the teachers RA).
it's the teachers RA.

as long as it stays in the bubble it does not need quarantining, the teacher will need a separate one to demo though. I have circuits stuff in labs that yr12/13 bubble are using, our bubbles are in fixed areas.

Main thing im concerned here is the security of the microscopes.
There is 30 in a class.

Last edited:
I can imagine they would have to clean the rest of the microscope if students touch those parts then touch the newly cleaned eye piece?
I'm advising my teachers to have one person in the pair get the slide focused and then simply wipe the eye piece so the other pupil can view the slide. Really they won't be touching the eye piece that much if at all.

That could be a good option - then thats the teacher to plan?
I'm just giving them the CLEAPSS advice (which the whole science team has already read) and my thoughts on how best to do it. I know my teachers are slammed with the split timetables so even though they've all read the guidance I just remind them about certain points relating to the activity they want. Teachers can run it how they like keeping within the guidance.

As soon as GL343 was updated my HoD had already read it and was looking at the closest supermarkets to grab milton.