Banana plugs

Is anybody else is having issues with 'Basket' style Banana plugs. They seem to be the normal these days, the design is also used in some Electric Foil fencing Body wires - I'm an Armourer. It doesn't take long for them to loose their springiness and give bad connections. We've just bought a load of much more expensive 'traditional' style ones. The basket ones are definitely a false economy, IMHO.

Absolutely agree, the old ones with a solid pin & a single springy wire last much longer. I've had to resort to bending some of the basket style ones to get a good contact.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Is anybody else is having issues with 'Basket' style Banana plugs. They seem to be the normal these days, the design is also used in some Electric Foil fencing Body wires - I'm an Armourer. It doesn't take long for them to loose their springiness and give bad connections. We've just bought a load of much more expensive 'traditional' style ones. The basket ones are definitely a false economy, IMHO.
What do the 'basket style ones' look like? or 'traditional style' for that matter?- any chance of some pics of both types please. How about where you get your 'traditional ' ones from?

Last edited:

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
What do the 'basket style ones' look like? or 'traditional style' for that matter?- any chance of some pics of both types please. How about where you get your 'traditional ' ones from?

Not able to do pics at the moment but hopefully this makes it clear. Basket type have a rotating section on the stem made up of two complete bands connected by slightly bellied out strips. These make the contact inside the socket. The earlier style had a a slot in the pin with a single spring wire running along the slot.

I find that as well as losing their shape and reducing the quality of connection the annulus cut to accommodate the basket weakens the structure of the pin and the sharp edges are a point of fracture. Never had anybody break the old type.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Not able to do pics at the moment but hopefully this makes it clear. Basket type have a rotating section on the stem made up of two complete bands connected by slightly bellied out strips. These make the contact inside the socket. The earlier style had a a slot in the pin with a single spring wire running along the slot.

I find that as well as losing their shape and reducing the quality of connection the annulus cut to accommodate the basket weakens the structure of the pin and the sharp edges are a point of fracture. Never had anybody break the old type.
From your description, I searched google and cut and pasted the found images - simples.
OK so this is the basket type:

1617176606746.png
and this is the traditional/old type:
1617176685652.png
Is that what you mean? - Any ideas where we get the old type cheaply from as all our suppliers sell the basket type

From your description, I searched google and cut and pasted the found images - simples.
OK so this is the basket type:

View attachment 5881
and this is the traditional/old type:
View attachment 5882
Is that what you mean? - Any ideas where we get the old type cheaply from as all our suppliers sell the basket type
The problem that I have found is that the plugs are made by someone who has seen one described but does not actually use them - a common problem.

In the case of the 'basket' type, the basket makes a wiping contact with the socket (thus breaking through any oxide or other crud on both mating surfaces) it is then firmly retained under the pressure of the spring basket. So far, so good, this is exactly what is required.

The problem is with the connection between the basket and the rest of the plug. If the basket is a loose fit (as is the case with the type illustrated) oxide builds up on the not-quite-contacting surfaces and the connection eventually fails.

In the case of more reliable ones, the basket is a tight fit on the pin so that any movement wipes away the oxide, also the connection between the basket and the pin is held under pressure.

Basically it is a design (or failure to design) problem; I have never found a way of tightening the basket, the only solution was to scrap the leads and replace them by ones at twice the price.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
The problem that I have found is that the plugs are made by someone who has seen one described but does not actually use them - a common problem.

In the case of the 'basket' type, the basket makes a wiping contact with the socket (thus breaking through any oxide or other crud on both mating surfaces) it is then firmly retained under the pressure of the spring basket. So far, so good, this is exactly what is required.

The problem is with the connection between the basket and the rest of the plug. If the basket is a loose fit (as is the case with the type illustrated) oxide builds up on the not-quite-contacting surfaces and the connection eventually fails.

In the case of more reliable ones, the basket is a tight fit on the pin so that any movement wipes away the oxide, also the connection between the basket and the pin is held under pressure.

Basically it is a design (or failure to design) problem; I have never found a way of tightening the basket, the only solution was to scrap the leads and replace them by ones at twice the price.
How do we know if the plug is a better quality tighter fitting 'basket type' connection? Price is not always a good indicator as the shroud may be better quality and the basket part just a poor as the competition.

Can anyone, from experience, recommend a make/supplier?

How do we know if the plug is a better quality tighter fitting 'basket type' connection? Price is not always a good indicator as the shroud may be better quality and the basket part just a poor as the competition.

Can anyone, from experience, recommend a make/supplier?

I only buy these, others sell them but SciChem are currently the cheapest.

https://www.scichem.com/product/plugs-stackable-4mm-black-ela140010
(Search "4mm stackable plugs" for the other colours).

(I think this thread will probably now descend into the 'it's cheaper to buy ready made leads' conversation. Again). :p