Banana plug tricks!!

Releasing older hex plugs for repair/reuse

Use a 9mm steel ball in a vice and this will spread the end to release the pin without chopping off the bits that hold the metal in place. Simply tighten the vice until the ball settles into the socket on the end of the pin and the plastic will slide off easily, allowing it to be used again. I've seen others release these with a hammer!

Attachments

Releasing older hex plugs for repair/reuse

Use a 9mm steel ball in a vice and this will spread the end to release the pin without chopping off the bits that hold the metal in place. Simply tighten the vice until the ball settles into the socket on the end of the pin and the plastic will slide off easily, allowing it to be used again. I've seen others release these with a hammer!
That's clever. I confess I've used a hammer, after time the plastic loses flexibility, I will try this.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I currently use long nosed pliers to prise the end apart slightly and a thin block of wood to press down on the edge where the wire should sit. Think I might swap to this new method though.

I run mine under hot water which releases it.
I sit the banana plugs in boiled water from the kettle for a few seconds to soften the plastic and then use thin nosed pliers to remove the inside plug. The plugs can then be repaired and re-inserted without destroying the plastic casings retaining lip.

I used to use my fingers, which probably says a lot about me. Squeeze it on the wide axis and push the metal part out.

Went to fully moulded plugs nearly two decades ago and never looked back. Never have to fix them and rarely have a duff one - I actually can't remember _ever_ having one.