Ballistics practical

A starting pistol doesn't have a projectile. I made a swing arm pendulum of known mass, that hits a trolley at the bottom of it's travel. Might be able to do a calculation giving GPE ie the velocity at that point.

Wish we could do exciting stuff like that. Our H&S gnome would have a heart attack. We have to do full RA to throw different balls through a hoop.
Even staple guns can only be used by trained and authorised staff
love ELF & SAFETY :safety: :ra::cleapssadvice::cleapss:

I have seen a wax candle put through a barn door with a shotgun on "How?" and a tissue ball put through a shed door with breech loader pistol.
In Wesley's "air guns and air pistols" he tells tales of using an air cane. A pneumatic weapon that might be mistaken for a walking stick. In one "test" it was shot at a cast iron fire place. The room filled with white "smoke" that was plaster powder from the spatter of the lead ball disintegrating. The fire place was, of course, smashed as well. In another example a doubter tried one on his shed door with a few shots. On inspecting the other side of the door he remembered his raincoat was hung there, now with holes through. The back of the shed was similarly perforated and his bicycle frame behind the shed was badly bent. The Austrian army apparently had something similar for sniping as it was relatively quiet.
And a link

Last edited:

karen b

COMMITTEE
Anybody else heard of the ice bullet? Super cooled ice slug that melts once inside the victim leaving no ballistic evidence other than a feint whiff of gin and tonic?????

I think an ice pick made of ice was a murder weapon in an Agatha Christie novel (or similar author). The guilty person was found because of a tea leaf found deep in the wound of the victim

Anybody else heard of the ice bullet? Super cooled ice slug that melts once inside the victim leaving no ballistic evidence other than a feint whiff of gin and tonic?????
Or the leg of Lamb used to belt hubby over head, then cooked for dinner? I believe the story ( urban myth or Tales of the Unexpected?) is that it was fed to police too :laughing:

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
When I was a school student Professor Alan Shaw came to visit and fired a tallow candle through a 2" oak door with a blunderbuss. Deformation is a function of time he said, never forgotten his lecture.