background radiation sensor

can anyone recommend anything we have never had something hand held that detects background radiation but a new teacher has asked about us getting one so i am looking for recommendations and prices ( not too expensive)
Thank you.

used this one in the past with no complaints

We've got a device called 'radcount', it's a GM tube attached to a little digital counter all housed in a nice plastic box. (I'll take a photo when I can get into the lab where it's stored). However, after a spot of googling, I don't think they're made any more which is a shame. If you came across a second-hand one it might be worth snapping it up !

We've got a device called 'radcount', it's a GM tube attached to a little digital counter all housed in a nice plastic box. (I'll take a photo when I can get into the lab where it's stored). However, after a spot of googling, I don't think they're made any more which is a shame. If you came across a second-hand one it might be worth snapping it up !
Same here, I often keep an eye out for them second hand as I'd happily have another, handy compact little things!

Image.jpegImage (1).jpegA Couple of my Portable "toys" The Radex one has metal Gm tubes and makes a satisfying cheeping sound which if I leave on my desk "background" sends the unenlightened scurrying from the room ;)
The SEP one has a mica windowed tube but its less than a five pence across the open end, and I had to retro fit a grill over the end to stop pencils etc going in and smashing the window yes that happened !
got another "toy" soeks defender cute little canary yellow thing with a nice colour screen again a metal GM tube again emits a pleasing background beep just to keep the casual passers by moving along nicely

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I got a unilab geiger teller on ebay BNIB for £30. I thought I would use it at car boots to frighten vendors and get vaseline glass cheap. Never got around to it and sold it to my BHI group to use by members to check watch and clock dials.

It is actually very good but the list price is pretty steep.

I got a unilab geiger teller on ebay BNIB for £30. I thought I would use it at car boots to frighten vendors and get vaseline glass cheap. Never got around to it and sold it to my BHI group to use by members to check watch and clock dials.

It is actually very good but the list price is pretty steep.
Unilab geiger Tellers are nice little units got mine BNIB for around the same price on EBAY, again £450 list price for a tiny little mica windowed tube mind they are all that kind of money if you buy them from school suppliers