ASE membership / registered technician status

As much as I'd like to go Rsci it's just that little more expensive initially and don't feel that I can go asking for the extra cash.

RSci is a little less long winded than RSciTech when using it after your name but any professional recognition is better than none.

There's the other question for people, do any of you actually use it after your name, say on emails etc?
I think that the many who do have the recognition that these professional titles bring do use it after their name.
See https://www.ase.org.uk/about-ase/whos-who/ase-committees/ase-technician-committee/ :)

As much as I'd like to go Rsci it's just that little more expensive initially and don't feel that I can go asking for the extra cash.

RSci is a little less long winded than RSciTech when using it after your name but any professional recognition is better than none.

There's the other question for people, do any of you actually use it after your name, say on emails etc?

I hadn't actually realised how much difference there was in fee between the two different registers through the ASE - I guess they assume it will only be teachers applying for RSci so they can get away with charging more! It sounds from your previous comments like you would be eligible to apply for RSci, but I can understand that the extra financial burden involved in doing that might make it too big of a hit in one go and give your school grounds to object. As you say, any professional recognition is better than none and you always have the option of applying for RSci at a later date if you wish to / your school find a magic money tree to cover the costs.

Personally I do choose to use it after my name. I work in an independent school, which unfortunately means there are plenty of snobby people around who like to look down on us lowly support staff. I find it usually pays to use any form of recognition possible to remind them that I am a professional and well qualified scientist too (more so than a lot of them even).

karen b

COMMITTEE
As you can see, a technician's pay would qualify for the concessionary rate. It then works out less than ASE. A Senior Tech would not get the concession.

I think it would here, unfortunately.

I would have to apply for membership as I have a physics degree. So it works out the same cost. I will try and weigh up the benefits of both, and find out if my school will contribute anything.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE

I would have to apply for membership as I have a physics degree. So it works out the same cost. I will try and weigh up the benefits of both, and find out if my school will contribute anything.

You really need to revisit your pay scales. It is worded a bit ambiguously, were I to join the IoP using the concessionary rate I would be identifying my income from my work in Education as being under the threshold, I could not afford to do this job if I did not have other income streams. I much prefer the ASE approach which simply has a technicians membership, I think the IoP should do the same.

I hadn't actually realised how much difference there was in fee between the two different registers through the ASE - I guess they assume it will only be teachers applying for RSci so they can get away with charging more! It sounds from your previous comments like you would be eligible to apply for RSci, but I can understand that the extra financial burden involved in doing that might make it too big of a hit in one go and give your school grounds to object. As you say, any professional recognition is better than none and you always have the option of applying for RSci at a later date if you wish to / your school find a magic money tree to cover the costs.

Personally I do choose to use it after my name. I work in an independent school, which unfortunately means there are plenty of snobby people around who like to look down on us lowly support staff. I find it usually pays to use any form of recognition possible to remind them that I am a professional and well qualified scientist too (more so than a lot of them even).
Well said Steve.:);)

Thanks all for the advice you have all given over the past days and weeks.

Now I just need to crack on and try and write up something in the professional review section which appears to be the most challenging part, makes selling it to the head and HoD seem like a walk in the park.

Hi Guys, new here.

I'm currently in the process of applying for RSciTech but I'm struggling with ideas for competency A3 'interpret and evaluate data and make sound judgements in relation to scientific concepts' as we don't typically collect data.

What kinds of things did you guys put?

greenfingers

Sarah G
COMMITTEE
Do you trial experiments,do you make tables and graphs ,do you evaluate the experiment?do you have to change concentrations etc to make the experiment work.If it doesn't work then surely its not following the concept that you are trying to show so you adjust it till it does hope this helps.Been a few since I did my NVQ :)

I have a couple of example professional reviews I was given by a colleague who attended a training day where they were advocating becoming registered. I found these invaluable to see what sort of things they are asking for - let me know if you'd like me to attach them. I've just (finally) sent off my completed form. Crossing everything I get approved...

Hi Guys, new here.

I'm currently in the process of applying for RSciTech but I'm struggling with ideas for competency A3 'interpret and evaluate data and make sound judgements in relation to scientific concepts' as we don't typically collect data.

Chris, the wording on some of the competencies can sometimes be a bit dry and the language not best tailored to those of us who are working in schools and colleges rather than in industry / academia. From my experience, "Interpret and evaluate data and make sound judgements in relation to scientific concepts" can be evidenced by any time where you have obtained results (analytical or otherwise) and have used these to decide the next course of action.

So, as mentioned above, if you have trialled a new experiment you will have done exactly this. Likewise if you have had to try and identify why an existing practical / piece of equipment etc. is not working properly and solve the problem i.e. you have run the experiment and seen what the result was (your data) and based on whether or not it worked as desired (your interpretation and evaluation of the data) you will have adjusted it in some way to make it work better or to eliminate an unwanted problem (making a sound judgement in relation to scientific concepts).

I hope this helps.

Chris, the wording on some of the competencies can sometimes be a bit dry and the language not best tailored to those of us who are working in schools and colleges rather than in industry / academia. From my experience, "Interpret and evaluate data and make sound judgements in relation to scientific concepts" can be evidenced by any time where you have obtained results (analytical or otherwise) and have used these to decide the next course of action.

So, as mentioned above, if you have trialled a new experiment you will have done exactly this. Likewise if you have had to try and identify why an existing practical / piece of equipment etc. is not working properly and solve the problem i.e. you have run the experiment and seen what the result was (your data) and based on whether or not it worked as desired (your interpretation and evaluation of the data) you will have adjusted it in some way to make it work better or to eliminate an unwanted problem (making a sound judgement in relation to scientific concepts).

I hope this helps.
I have a couple of example professional reviews I was given by a colleague who attended a training day where they were advocating becoming registered. I found these invaluable to see what sort of things they are asking for - let me know if you'd like me to attach them. I've just (finally) sent off my completed form. Crossing everything I get approved...

I hope this helps.
Hi Guys, new here.

Thanks all for the advice you have all given over the past days and weeks.

Now I just need to crack on and try and write up something in the professional review section which appears to be the most challenging part, makes selling it to the head and HoD seem like a walk in the park.
You really need to revisit your pay scales. It is worded a bit ambiguously, were I to join the IoP using the concessionary rate I would be identifying my income from my work in Education as being under the threshold, I could not afford to do this job if I did not have other income streams. I much prefer the ASE approach which simply has a technicians membership, I think the IoP should do the same.

I use it in my email signature at work. The teachers all put letters after their names, so why not

If you provide a programme/ supervise students on Work Experience you could also add this to your list of competencies. It will tick many boxes.:);)

karen b

COMMITTEE

And they do not contribute to membership of any professional organization. Though I was told it is tax deductible. Not sure it is worth the effort of the paperwork though