Asbestos floors

I need help.from a H& S person. Just found out that the tiles in the preproom, and other places, are asbestos. This is fine, as long g as they are in good condition, which they are. Apart from two small areas where they have started to lift. I had a look at the government website and found a page which said floors could be sealed, and it gave a link to some suitable stuff. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I need help.from a H& S person. Just found out that the tiles in the preproom, and other places, are asbestos. This is fine, as long g as they are in good condition, which they are. Apart from two small areas where they have started to lift. I had a look at the government website and found a page which said floors could be sealed, and it gave a link to some suitable stuff. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I would get in touch with your trade union health and safety rep to arrange an inspection

I would get in touch with your trade union health and safety rep to arrange an inspection
I'm trying to do this without rocking the boat, but I will if I have to. Currently there are 6 tiles that have lifted. Caretaker wants to put them back, but I say the area should be painted with sealer. There is a problem with putting them back as they will be raised and a trip hazard. Also the Caretaker shouldn't be messing around with them. I'm hoping to go to the finance/burser/H&S person with evidence for sealing.

I'm trying to do this without rocking the boat, but I will if I have to. Currently there are 6 tiles that have lifted. Caretaker wants to put them back, but I say the area should be painted with sealer. There is a problem with putting them back as they will be raised and a trip hazard. Also the Caretaker shouldn't be messing around with them. I'm hoping to go to the finance/burser/H&S person with evidence for sealing.
Your school has to keep a record of all asbestos and it has to be inspected regularly, check with the person responsible for health and safety

Ask who is in charge of Health and safety in your workplace and immediately send them an email ,explaining the situation and say that you are concerned for your health. CC the email to the top person eg. head/principal/director. They should get a formal inspection and report every year about asbestos in the buildings. This is a serious matter.
The email will cover you in terms of evidence that you expressed a concern. If nothing happens quickly, keep emailing and telling the health and safety person, do not let it go. You do not have to research how to seal the floor yourself, it is up to them. Our school is full of asbestos, including the prep room and it is inspected every year and treated if necessary.

paul r

COMMITTEE
Ask who is in charge of Health and safety in your workplace and immediately send them an email ,explaining the situation and say that you are concerned for your health. CC the email to the top person eg. head/principal/director. They should get a formal inspection and report every year about asbestos in the buildings. This is a serious matter.
The email will cover you in terms of evidence that you expressed a concern. If nothing happens quickly, keep emailing and telling the health and safety person, do not let it go. You do not have to research how to seal the floor yourself, it is up to them. Our school is full of asbestos, including the prep room and it is inspected every year and treated if necessary.
I agree . My uncle died of asbestosis

Asbestos can be very dangerous. It does not present a health risk if it is undisturbed, but if material containing asbestos is chipped, drilled, broken or allowed to deteriorate, it can release a fine dust that contains asbestos fibres.

When the dust is breathed in, the asbestos fibres enter the lungs and can gradually damage them over time. For asbestosis to develop, prolonged exposure to relatively high numbers of the fibres is necessary. However, it is not the only factor, as many people avoid getting asbestosis, despite heavy exposure.

We had an incident here with asbestos, we were clearing our ready for refurb & as we moved some stuff in a corner a cloud of dust came up from a crumbling boxed in area. I had seen the asbestos report from several years before & the boxing was asbestos.
I shouted at tech to get away & out of room then we both washed our faces & nose & mouths out with water & sprayed our clothes to damp dust down. We sealed off room. But The then SLT said we couldn't go home early to change our clothes.
We had to register incident on a RIDOR form & said we were letting our Doctors know to put it on record that we had breathed in the dust. The school made a fuss & said risk was 'minimal' & that by sealing off room we had drawn attention to it as we had visitors & it didn't look good!
The asbestos removal company came in & double sealed area & cleared it all out but weren't surprised that the school didn't take it seriously.
My union was hopeless & didn't want to know.
Risk may have been minimal, but still a risk. Don't accept a botch job, it's not worth it.

Asbestos needs to be reported through your H&S manager and the Head. This should not be dealt with by you or anyone else who isn't trained.

Whilst the health risks sound low there is the issue of the fact you work in a place of education etc

Thank you for all your help. I did as Mad hatter suggested and sent the email after getting the HOD to read it. It took literally 5 minutes before the H&S person was down in the preproom saying they would get a contractor to remove the loose tiles and seal the floor. Result!

Thank you for all your help. I did as Mad hatter suggested and sent the email after getting the HOD to read it. It took literally 5 minutes before the H&S person was down in the preproom saying they would get a contractor to remove the loose tiles and seal the floor. Result!
Well done Kaj!:greatjob:

Currently have a man here carrying out an asbestos survey, he has been here before as part of team that removed most of it before building work took place. As I understand it before any significant work that involves removing parts of the building structure takes place a survey has to be carried out and samples taken to check for asbestos dust, all of the contractors involved in the work have to sign a register before work commences.
Having asbestos removed isn't a simple process when it has happened here entire buildings or large parts of them are closed, special skips appear and the area being worked on has lots of plastic sheeting put up with decontamination zones for the folk taking it out, it may be prudent to prepare for some short term disruption.