Apparently I don't do anything.

I always forget to ask the other subject teachers in the school what they do when they forget their textbook in another room or need a last minute photocopy haha.
I've heard a lot of gripes from other subject teachers about science having techs. Especially when we are photocopying. To be fair, they have a point. Never quite understood why French gets a language assistant - that also does their copying - when English is a core subject & gets no one.
It can't be setting up the headphones & such, as the media tech does that.
While we are on the subject, we have been puzzling lately why it is that food & textiles, which has 3 rooms in total, isn't a core subject after KS3, only has 20 students at KS4, does no A level, has 2 F/T TTO techs. There is also 1 FT TTO tech for D & T.
Lesson for lesson & per pupil, science have far less.

I've heard a lot of gripes from other subject teachers about science having techs. Especially when we are photocopying. To be fair, they have a point. Never quite understood why French gets a language assistant - that also does their copying - when English is a core subject & gets no one.
It can't be setting up the headphones & such, as the media tech does that.
While we are on the subject, we have been puzzling lately why it is that food & textiles, which has 3 rooms in total, isn't a core subject after KS3, only has 20 students at KS4, does no A level, has 2 F/T TTO techs. There is also 1 FT TTO tech for D & T.
Lesson for lesson & per pupil, science have far less.
Absolutely.

In my school, 2 science techs for 7 science teacher (so 3.5 teachers per tech), 1 HE tech for 2 teachers, 1 D&T tech for 2 teachers and 1 Art tech for 2 teachers

2 Science Techs here for 8 labs and 9 Science Teachers (2 part time) plus 1 non-Scientist (Year 7 & 8 only). 1 D&T Tech (off long-term sick) , 1 Textiles / Food Tech (part time). Used to have Language Assistants but these have long since gone.

2 techs for 8 labs, 10 teachers and we also support geography with their environmental stuff, invigilate, do a duty, photocopy, maintain the rooftop garden, support in the classroom, both 1st aiders so on call for that, and anything else they can think of because we only ''put out and fetch back a few bits''
Art has ratio of 1:2 as does DT. Dt tech is often found asleep in his workroom.

2 techs for 8 labs, 10 teachers and we also support geography with their environmental stuff, invigilate, do a duty, photocopy, maintain the rooftop garden, support in the classroom, both 1st aiders so on call for that, and anything else they can think of because we only ''put out and fetch back a few bits''
Art has ratio of 1:2 as does DT. Dt tech is often found asleep in his workroom.
You shouldn't be doing photocopying as a rule (no reprographics person in the Office Staff?), or invigilation (that's for teachers or ex-teachers).

What type of support in the classroom - if it's SEN that should be for SEN trained TAs.

Being a trained First Aider can be useful but as it takes you away from your job it really shouldn't be for long (would the teaching staff tolerate this?)

I'm solo, which in past years was just about manageable with 6 teachers and labs. Labs have stayed the same but we're now up to 10 teachers, and we're retaining bubble teaching even after covid restrictions lift, so outside of teachers having to book labs, I may be expected to drop stuff all over the school. I've also been told that despite this, I'm not going to be getting an assistant either. I genuinely don't know how I'll cope when things ramp to closer to normal next year. 1 D&T tech covers all of technology, and also helps out with art.

One D&T tech and one science tech. And we both help with STEM. I have 5 labs and 5 teachers, there are two workshops, cookery room, cadcam, 2 art rooms and a needlework room that's being turned into something else!

I'm a lone tech with 4 teachers over 6 labs, but they aren't very practical-heavy this year (a relief considering I've been setting up from scratch). I feel bad for the DT technician though - she is on her own to cover DT, art and food tech and seems more overworked than me.

Me and two apprentices covering six labs with seven teachers and whoever else comes in with the two T levels and the prep for T levels courses from September. We also presently cover engineering since their techs keep leaving due to better jobs being available anywhere... Motor vehicle has no teachers or techs, just "demonstrators", techs who teach. Construction had two brand shiny new techs, one of whom has already been let go the other probably wants to be...

One Home Ec tech - 2 teachers = 0.5 teachers/tech
One DT tech - 2.5 teachers (one part time) = 0.75 teachers/tech
One Art tech - 2 teachers = 0.5 teachers/tech
Two Science techs - 11 teachers (1 part time, 2 SLT teaching a few science hours, so say 9 total) = 4.5 teachers / tech :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be doing photocopying as a rule (no reprographics person in the Office Staff?), or invigilation (that's for teachers or ex-teachers).

What type of support in the classroom - if it's SEN that should be for SEN trained TAs.

Being a trained First Aider can be useful but as it takes you away from your job it really shouldn't be for long (would the teaching staff tolerate this?)
Sadly as support staff leave they don't replace them so more falls on the ones who are left. Our TA's have about as much science experience as the average yr 7 so when it comes to practical lessons I'd rather be there for the sake of my equipment, they don't blow up the labs or chop their fingers off.

One Home Ec tech - 2 teachers = 0.5 teachers/tech
One DT tech - 2.5 teachers (one part time) = 0.75 teachers/tech
One Art tech - 2 teachers = 0.5 teachers/tech
Two Science techs - 11 teachers (1 part time, 2 SLT teaching a few science hours, so say 9 total) = 4.5 teachers / tech :rolleyes:
It's strange isn't it? You'd think Science would be priority for staff, being a core subject.

Sadly as support staff leave they don't replace them so more falls on the ones who are left. Our TA's have about as much science experience as the average yr 7 so when it comes to practical lessons I'd rather be there for the sake of my equipment, they don't blow up the labs or chop their fingers off.
We've had a few TA's over the years that teachers say are like having an extra kid in the room.
One used to argue all the time with kids & cause no end of aggro for the teacher.